Jun 2011
    Saturday AND Sunday spent in class. Boo

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    Saturday AND Sunday spent in class. Boo
    Ooo what kind of class??
    I feel your pain, I spend my sats and suns at work! (and the weekdays too! )

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    It's almost kickoff time for NFL Sunday.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    Quote Originally posted by Vancity View post
    Ooo what kind of class??
    I feel your pain, I spend my sats and suns at work! (and the weekdays too! )
    Mechanical 1. I figure might as well get some code levels since I work so close with inspections already.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    "F#ck, hell, damn!" is not something you want to hear shouted from the kitchen.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's sunny and beautiful here. I went to a fall festival, which was just ok, but it was nice being outside. After that we went to Freedom Farms Home Market (of TV's Farm Kings). We saw 2 of the King farmers, and came home with farm-raised sausage, produce and cut flowers.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2013
    Quote Originally posted by kms View post
    It's sunny and beautiful here. I went to a fall festival, which was just ok, but it was nice being outside. After that we went to Freedom Farms Home Market (of TV's Farm Kings). We saw 2 of the King farmers, and came home with farm-raised sausage, produce and cut flowers.
    Once again, I want your life.

Wrote the S/O's resume today. Ate some oatmeal. Shared grapes with a co-worker. Took down some customer complaints. etc.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Otis View post
    "F#ck, hell, damn!" is not something you want to hear shouted from the kitchen.
    Don't you hate it when the poached eggs are over-cooked?

Our recent photos of the Georgia Islands and Jacksonville FL are on my book of faces page...if anyone is interested.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Quote Originally posted by Richmond Jake View post
    Don't you hate it when the poached eggs are over-cooked?
    Actually that's pretty close to what the issue was.

Four deer just grazed through my front yard, eating all the dandelion flowers.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Once again, I want your life.
    Someday, you will.

I took a walk this evening and saw a friend of mine. It's an unusual friendship because her daughter was my friend, and I became better friends with the woman who's old enough to be my mother.

Now it's time for Sunday night stuff - checkbook balancing, darning socks (which is what you do with $20 athletic socks), and writing work reports. Happy now?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2013
    It's Monday afternoon over here in Japan. It's pretty nice over here, although I haven't been to Tokyo yet. I've tried squid and octopus, both of which are pretty good. I also sent emails to prospective grad schools that I would like to attend within a year or so (after I get my quals and make E-4)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2013
    Speak!

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I experienced the bait and switch yesterday from Verizon. Liars. There is a special place in hell for cable and cell phone companies.

We've reached agreement with The Big Company over the Big Application notwithstanding the attorney. Planners know best. Good thing. First public hearing is this Thursday.

Buddy, the new rescue dog, and Jack are finally getting along. Much less stress in the house at this point. His picture is posted on my book of faces page.

After walking the dogs and brunch the morning, it looks like a good day to hang by the pool.

Where is everyone this morning?

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Yesterday was one of the best days I have had in a long time. I got to officiate at the wedding of two of my best friends and then we had a fantastic party. What a great day!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2013
    My first words today were "I want to be in the water"
    Unfortunately, good, clean swimming water is scarce here (the ocean just doesn't do it for me...) so you have to drive a while... and I have to be at work today instead. I shall sit in an icy glass box (too much A/C) and watch the end of a beautiful summer happen. Its going to be 28 degrees C.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I spent the middle part of the day wandering around the Strip District. It's Pittsburgh's long-time market place. I came home, took a little nap, then made beef barley soup. Now I'm off to the gym.

Ken Burns' Roosevelt series begins tonight.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2013
    The day wears on. I am allowed to leave in 3 hours. Tonight I must prepare for the upcoming work week. Sandwiches are to be made, pants are to be cleaned.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    I spent the middle part of the day wandering around the Strip District. It's Pittsburgh's long-time market place.
    (Wow... a meat market you can count on!)

I came home, took a little nap, then made beef barley soup.
    (Now here's a lady who can have her meat and eat it too.)

Now I'm off to the gym.
    (And she's off to a second meat market...)

Ken Burns' Roosevelt series begins tonight.
    (I don't get this one. kms is far too clever for me.)

Last edited by Shellac And Vinyl VelocitY; 15 Sep 2014 at 2:20 AM.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2013
    Kms is the envy of the Sunday afternoon club.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Kms is the envy of the Sunday afternoon club.
    kms decided long ago that Sundays should be set aside for self indulgence and rest.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Sunday morning started off great--and I mean great. Then I mowed the back yard. Back in the shower after a bottle of beer.

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    16 minutes until "afternoon" in Colorado...

After sleeping in a bit, been typing away on the master's thesis in a local coffee shop (away from my 5 year old).

ho hum...
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Yesterday we went over to Dallas, Oregon, where friends of friends were conducting their annual prune harvest. It was quite fascinating. A pair of machines with interlocking tarp-like structures comes up to each prune tree and then one of them gently grabs the tree trunk and shakes the tree. All the ripe prunes fall onto the tarps where they roll to the center and then to a field crate measuring maybe 4 x 4 x 2.5 feet. Then they are taken to the processing building where they are poured into a vat of water for basic cleaning. They then go over a grill-like rack where sticks and leaves are removed and undersized prunes fall into a trash box. Then the prunes go to a sorting table where a couple of people go over them and cull out any bad ones and any remaining leaves and twigs. At this point they are in single layers on racks measuring about 3 x 3 feet. A stack of racks about 6 or 7 feet high is then loaded into a drying oven. These are rooms maybe 8 feet high and ten feet wide and 20 feet deep. When the room is full they close the door and leave the prunes in there for about 24 hours. The rooms are heated to 160 degrees with massive gas jets and hurricane force winds. I went in one and can tell you it's damn hot and windy in there! When the prunes come out they are the dried prunes you are familiar with. Actually you're NOT familiar with these particular prunes because the entire crop, which has golden meat rather than the black we usually see, is sold to retailers in Japan.

We went out into the orchard a couple of rows ahead of the harvesting machines and picked our own fresh prunes. We came home with two big bags of them, and will slice and pit them this afternoon and store them in the freezer.

If you think prunes are just dried plums, you're partly right. Fresh prunes are a variety of plums, but much meatier than most plums. If you dried a normal plum the way the prune makers do, you'd end up with a pit inside a wrinkled bag of skin. No meat to speak of. They are mostly water.

The amount of waste is amazing. The prunes are harvested from each tree three times, about a week apart. By the time the harvest starts many ripe prunes have already dropped to the ground, and between shakings many more join them. After the final run-through there still are many prunes on the trees, but not enough o be harvested economically. So while each tree produces many, many prunes (hundreds per tree) hundreds, maybe a third to a half, never leave the orchard and rot on the ground. Fertilizer, I guess.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2013
    Wow. Nice story there Otis... very informative .

Its beautiful here, I'm at work. The man-friend is off today and working on our latest bike restoration. I am a little sad that I'm not there to oversee. I'm considerably more meticulous about things like sanding and painting...

Last night I took the old Raleigh for a long ride over to the beach and back which entailed going up and over many vehicle bridges, which was a little crazy to say the least. I've not done a lot of that, but it was very pretty to be able to stop on the bridges at night and have a look around rather than driving across. I got home at the healthy hour of 1am and collapsed.

This morning I ate fruit loops for the first time in more than 10 years I'd estimate. Wow, what a nostalgic taste. So. Good.
    Buttertarts await me at home, because I went grocery shopping while hungry

Quote Originally posted by zman View post
    16 minutes until "afternoon" in Colorado...

After sleeping in a bit, been typing away on the master's thesis in a local coffee shop (away from my 5 year old).

ho hum...
    Whats the thesis on?

Registered
    Jan 2005
    Spent the day over at Buffalo Bros., a local Fort Worth bar that embraces Buffalo food and sports. Watched the Bills lose for the first time this year. Now I'm watching the Buffalo Sabres first preseason game and.... they're losing too. Oh well, I should have fun on the pub crawl tonight.

+ Reply to thread
Page 4 of 16 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 14 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 09 May 2012, 9:51 AM
  2. Afternoon from Wisconsin
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 May 2008, 4:57 PM
  3. What are you doing this afternoon
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 42