Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Put me out to pasture....

Registered
    Oct 2000

Put me out to pasture....

Rob and I were just chatting in the car on the way back from lunch about how fabulous retirement will be, in just 28 1/2 years. He said that he doesn't think he'll ever want to retire, he enjoys his job that much. I however have about 8 million other things that I'd rather be doing than be gainfully employed.

So what are all y'all's plans?

Registered
    Aug 2001
    "Welcome to Wal Mart. Would you like a cart today?"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Lots of travelling and reading. I have often thought of volunteering for a neighbourhood planning non-profit (there are a lot in California, and some really good ones in Portland). Depending on if I am still with my bf, and one of our sets of parents kicks the bucket (man, that's morbid!) we could retire in either California or Nova Scotia. My parents have a place by Bass Lake outside of Oakhurst in the Sierras, and his dad has a retirement cabin on the beach in N.S.

I was thinking it would be cool to rebuild a car, too.

Oh yeah... and the number one thing I would do... go back to my normal sleeping schedule: bedtime by 4 a.m. wake up at noon. Yay!

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

Fore!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Lots of golfing and travelling, reading and writing. I'd like to stay somewhat involved in the profession (maybe as some sort of Elder Statesman for the Transportation Planning field )

Oh yeah, and I'll be building one kick-ass model railway to hand over to my grandkids!

Registered
    Dec 2001
    If I get it my way I'm going to move back to Texas and take up residence at my Mom's ranch- make cheese from goats milk and play with horses everyday.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Diving in Portobello and birding at San Lorenzo

but thats a pipe dream ill never get to retire

"They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2001

Retirement? Hah.

Since I am totally irresponsible with money (The male equivalent of Karyn-anyone want to send ME some money) , the Wal-Mart option is looking pretty good

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Cruising the NASCAR circuit in my Winnebago from February until November.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I think I suffer too much from Island Fever -- operating a cabana on the beach and serving up my famous margaritas -- a hammock and ocean breezes.

Although I like my job, I'd be a cabana gal tomorrow if I could!

But until Ed MacMahon knocks on my door...sigh.

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I'm sure I'll be dead long before I could retire.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    First, I want to go to a few public hearings as a regular citizen, just so I could finally tell these sorry-ass developers and engineers what I really think of their projects!

Then, chill out on a long cruise and go to Europe.

I guess after that I would have to do something productive, so maybe a part-time job. I always wanted to get a summer job at Disney World when I was in school, but I'm too short, so that's out.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    I always wanted to get a summer job at Disney World when I was in school, but I'm too short, so that's out.
    OT question: Is there a minimum height requirement at Disneyland? That would be bizarre.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Nerudite: I applied once and had to stand against a wall with height measurements marked on it. I failed. This was to work in the park (NOT as one of the Seven Dwarves). Women had to be between 5'2" and 5'10". They said it was so the uniforms would fit.

Registered
    Oct 2002
    I really would not want to retire... but maybe thats youthful optimism.

I just want to keep on being active, maybe a planner, maybe not, but busy none the less, even if its only overseeing my company for three months a year, and spending the rest in exotic locations or on the beach, or in the mountains.... and with a bit of luck and a lot of hard work on my game farm somewhere in remote and far from the chaos i've created in the cities I leave in my wake.

On the other hand, being the meddling old man at the public meetings who believes he knows better than everyone else, and objects to every possible application does have a certain attraction.......

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by Terraplan

On the other hand, being the meddling old man at the public meetings who believes he knows better than everyone else, and objects to every possible application does have a certain attraction.......
    I once thought that I might like to sit on a planning board, but now that i see how they really work, no shot in hell.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I once saw a small church that was converted into a residence. I'd like to do that - I wouldn't have to be retired, but I'd like to wait until the kids move on. I guess I would be a retired stay at home mom at that point!

Why attend that public meetings voluntarily? It's one thing to be required to attend...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Twenty-six years... oh god, you mean I need to do this another 26 years?

I wouldn't mind teaching, traveling, or just putzing around the farm.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    That's easy - take my earnings from a lucrative planning career and actually develop something for once.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Move to Prince Edward Island with my wife and live on a farm.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by NHPlanner
    Tim of Green Gables. It has a certain ring to it. But how do you look in a petticoat?

Registered
    Apr 2002
    I'll have already moved to Portland by the time I hit retirement #2. The wife and I will spend lots of time walking (around town, in the mountains, in the parks, on the beach) and cross country skiing.

Maybe I'll open a pottery studio... in a downtown live over work residence.

And IF we even own an automobile we will use it very little.
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Good luck finding a place.

If you are not alredy a resident it is near impossible to legally buy land on the island.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by donk

Good luck finding a place.

If you are not alredy a resident it is near impossible to legally buy land on the island.
    I have family on my dad's side that live there. I'm hopeful that the land will be passed along in the family.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by nerudite

Tim of Green Gables. It has a certain ring to it. But how do you look in a petticoat?
    Frankly, I look stunning in a petticoat.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by Runner
    I'll have already moved to Portland by the time I hit retirement #2. The wife and I will spend lots of time walking (around town, in the mountains, in the parks, on the beach) and cross country skiing.

Maybe I'll open a pottery studio... in a downtown live over work residence.

And IF we even own an automobile we will use it very little.
    Nah... you'd HATE Portland. All it does is rain. Yeah, lots of rain.

(This really works sometimes... especially on Texans!)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast