Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Is there a full moon soon?

Registered
    Aug 2001

Is there a full moon soon?

Okay... this has just been the weirdest week. In public planning, I'm used to my share of wackos to deal with, but it seems that they are coming out in droves this week. People tend to either love you or hate you here... and it looks like it's going a little too extreme in either direction this week! Yesterday a death threat over a redistricting application... someone saying they wouldn't want to be next to the staff seat during the presentations, since I'd be in sniping range (eek!)...

And then this morning I got a phone call from a neighbour first thing in the morning for the fifth time in as many days. I explained the situation about the redistricting again, and finally asked him if he wanted me to send him a letter so he could have it on file. He said that no, he was just using it as an excuse to call me because he liked hearing my voice first thing in the morning. That gave me the heebie jeebies, and I ended up telling my boss just so I have the info on record. He asked if I could come out to the site to discuss the project with him... as if!!!!

Hey PlannerGirl... what was the advice you gave us from D.C., walk in jagged lines and watch for feathers? I think I need some training this week! Anyone else experiencing the abnormal... or are you all just more used to the lunacy than I am?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Only weird in the sense that I got 6 calls today from people that don't speak English asking for applications to the restaurant I have signs posted at for the Liquor Use Permit-
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    nerudite,
    Ask for a poilce support at the hearing. I have been in such situations, and nothing calms the crowd down like a uniform, gun, and badge...unless elGuapo is available, that is.

I would also demand to report the morning phone calls to the police. And do not take any more calls from him.

One time we had a fellow who refused to leave the office. Officer asked what I wanted done with him. I replyed, I don't care, just get him out of here...drive him to the county line and let him out. The officer resonded, we have done that before.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Wierd week here too! Crying petitioners, post-menopausal PMSing coworkers, insane demands on our time, UGG!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    yes look for that one white feather-but then again if you see it your on your way to the happy hunting ground anyway-too late!

I have noticed when it gets cold (and id did big time here in NoVa) the nut jobs come in-theycant work outside and they have to look at the folks next door and get pissed.

Im in a strange mood, my co workers are all pissy-everyone is pissy, there seems to be some...mood

shrugs
    PG
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2000
    In Anderson, one of the counter girls at the Building Dept had a restraining order against a local builder because he choked her from across the counter and sent her to the hospital.

As for the full moon, we're at about 68% now, we'll be hitting full late this coming weekend.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Do you have a secretary who could answer your phone for awhile? Could your boss take the call and explain that the weirdo should contact him from now on if he has questions? I had a strange guy coming in to see me almost every day, and calling constantly, after I handled a rezone near his house. My boss took him off my hands and he finally gave up.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    It has gone crazy around here today. Multiple complaints about nothing, people building without permits and then asking for variances. We chock it up to teh winter coming, gotta get it done mentality.

My calendar says full moon on November 19.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Zoning Goddess
    Do you have a secretary who could answer your phone for awhile? Could your boss take the call and explain that the weirdo should contact him from now on if he has questions? I had a strange guy coming in to see me almost every day, and calling constantly, after I handled a rezone near his house. My boss took him off my hands and he finally gave up.
    The phone just rang, but I didn't answer it. The nut job decided not to leave a message. I suspect he calls before he goes to work in the morning. Unfortunately my business cards all have my direct line on it. If he leaves a message, I'll forward it onto my supervisor... otherwise, it's just a waiting game.

I've had something similar happen to me before in Vancouver, WA. A contractor there would ask me out all the times, tried to cajole me into going out for drinks to "celebrate" his project approval, etc. I used to have an outgoing message on my voicemail that said "press 0 if you want to be redirected to the operator." The final straw was when the contractor left a message in a sleazy voice saying, "Deb... I want you to redirect me... I want you to straighten me out." Is it harassment? Who knows... it was creepy and it made me feel uncomfortable. Luckily it was the end of the project and I told him I would not be doing any of the follow up inspections, so he should stop calling. After about five times telling him this, he did finally stop.

It's too bad we don't get hazard pay, eh?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997

Love on the job

I've never had any "admirers" but I did once hit it off with a nice traffic consultant that was doing a study in the municipality I was then employed with. We went out a few times, but it was long-distance and didn't go anywhere.

Nothing strange going on around here. Well, nothing stranger than the ordinary at any rate. This week I'm basically the world's most expensive filing clerk. Oh joy!

Registered
    Mar 2002
    Speaking of nut jobs do you guys have churches that drive you crazy?

"you are standing in the way of the work of god"
    "your going to hell for not giving me XYZ"

or the worse i had a chruch building group that called me up and cursed me out-then they found out i was a member of the church they were to build-that got NASTY.

PG
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Full moon on the 19th, my anniversary. Yeah, I guess I'm the nut job, who the hell gets married anymore?

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by Mike DeVuono
    Full moon on the 19th, my anniversary. Yeah, I guess I'm the nut job, who the hell gets married anymore?
    Hasn't there been a rash of marriages amongst the cyburbia crowd lately.

Okay...three that I can think of.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Re: Is there a full moon soon?

Originally posted by nerudite
    And then this morning I got a phone call from a neighbour first thing in the morning for the fifth time in as many days. I explained the situation about the redistricting again, and finally asked him if he wanted me to send him a letter so he could have it on file. He said that no, he was just using it as an excuse to call me because he liked hearing my voice first thing in the morning.
    That was me... I'll quit now if you want.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Originally posted by Tranplanner

Hasn't there been a rash of marriages amongst the cyburbia crowd lately.

Okay...three that I can think of.
    I know that you and I recently each married wonderful younger women...who was the third marraige?

Worded properly in case my wife again decides to peruse the boards...
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    Originally posted by NHPlanner
    I know that you and I recently each married wonderful younger women...who was the third marraige?
    SW MI Planner got hitched too, I think...

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 27
    Last post: 23 Jul 2013, 2:34 AM
  2. Replies: 16
    Last post: 22 Sep 2009, 2:07 PM
  3. Google Moon
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 11
    Last post: 20 Jul 2005, 9:44 PM
  4. Full Moon
    Friday Afternoon Club