Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Planning department organization

Planning department organization

Greetings,

I am researching how different planning departments are organized. I am looking for how any engineers are organized in planning or whether engineers are housed somewhere else, even though they may work on development/planning issues. Also, can you please let me know your assessment on how your arrangement works. Can it be improved or do you find the arrangement adequate?

Thanks
    Jason Schrock
    City of Commerce City
    303-289-3770
    fax: 303-289-3688
    jschrock@ci.commerce-city.co.us

The closest relationship I've seen between planners and engineers is when planners are put under a public works director. Most of the time, if not virtually all of the time, they are not housed in the same department. Interdepartmental coordination is going to be an issue almost anywhere you go, but if the city/county employs a development review committee, differences of opinion can be worked out without damage to applicants.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    In my city, many departments have their own engineers - public works, water, lighting.... Our engineers are in the same group as the environmental / brownfield people and the architects. (called the Engineering Services Division).

There is very little interdepartmental communication, so it is very helpful having the engineers in-house (there are 2 of them), well 3, but one guy does not do anything. I needed some information for a sewer project and It took our engineers only a day to get me answer. If Iwould have had to ask the water dept. it would have taken months, if I would have been able to get it at all.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 15 Aug 2013, 9:42 AM
  2. Planning department cooperation
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 Jul 2012, 9:53 AM
  3. Planner for the NYC Department of Planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 13 Aug 2007, 12:34 PM