Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: World-wide Web related discussion thread

Registered
    Feb 2004

World-wide Web related discussion thread

This thread is intended to discuss all things related to the World-Wide web (also known as the internets)

I currently have a 14.4 modem and was wondering if it's worthwhile spending the extra money to get a 28.8? Sure, it might take a few minutes for a page to completely load now but you don't always have to wait for the entire thing to load (and why oh why do so many web sites feel compelled to put so many images on their web pages?)

Cyburbia is slick, though. No chance of this place ever getting featured on Mirsky's worst of the web.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2001
    That new Yahoo! directory portal helped me find this Planning and Architecture Internet Resources Center.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Wannaplan? View post
    That new Yahoo! directory portal helped me find this Planning and Architecture Internet Resources Center.
    Great! I found it using the AltaVista search engine. It's amazing what web crawlers can find!
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Wannaplan? View post
    I found out about it in the AOL chat room. There's nothing you can't learn there.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Does anyone want to try out AOL? I got a CD-ROM with 10,000 free minutes on it in the mail today,

Registered
    May 2002
    I have wifi in the office on my phone and at my apartment on my laptop. It's pretty cool and lets me play music through my bluetooth-connected speaker here at my desk. The office computer has a regular old cable hookup, which lets me tell you all about my laptom and my phone and my bluetooth speaker.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    [16yr old boy]You'll never guess what I found on the world wide web......[/16yr old boy]
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    There are hundreds, no, thousands of web sites out there. So many to choose from and such a variety of topics

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Netscape Navigator has made getting around the web so easy and intuitive for me. This is a company with some great innovation and I have a feeling that Navigator is going to be here for a while!
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Mar 2005
    In a 480 square foot ex baseball nacho stand
    Does anybody have an extra diskette. I'd like to save a few pictures I found.
    "Whatever beer I'm drinking, is better than the one I'm not." DMLW
    "Budweiser sells a product they reflectively insist on calling beer." John Oliver

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Perhaps the coolest thing of all about the world wide web is that it may eventually do away with newspapers! If you want to keep up with what's going on in the news there are web sites designated specifically for that purpose. Don't believe me? Just type in a few words related to a current event into Lycos and Whoomp there it is!

Registered
    Feb 2007
    Last night i was in the AOL chat room singles nook, and the chick totally wants to do me. She sent me a link to her geocities page. Man total winner.
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I love Napster, it lets me download the latest Radiohead stuff for free!
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jun 2011
    I love The Internet. It allows me to multi-task. I am able to read a good book while The Internet buffers my videos. By the time I am done with a chapter my video has fully loaded.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    My dad (professor at Local,private liberal arts college) still uses Telnet! I am so going to blow his mind when I show him what I can do with Mosiac!!

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I love playing Legend of the Red Dragon (LORD) when I can find a good BBS to log into with my 14.4. I hate it though when the line is busy. I usually just wait 10 minutes and try again. My mom doesn't like me playing though during the day because she hates that I keep the line tied up.
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Dec 2008
    AOL chat room? Lame! Check out my my-space page, it will blow your mind!
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    I currently have a 14.4 modem and was wondering if it's worthwhile spending the extra money to get a 28.8? .
    I lurked in a Usenet discussion the other day that said...

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    Check out my Angelfire page. It has MIDI music!
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Have you tried ICQ yet?

Personally, I think this internet thing is a fad... like these cellular telephones. Oh hang on, I have a fax coming in and I need to unplug.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8692
    Last post: 14 Aug 2018, 5:33 AM
  2. Replies: 6
    Last post: 04 Sep 2013, 8:26 AM
  3. Rules discussion thread
    Cyburbia Issues and Help
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 16 Mar 2012, 9:37 AM
  4. Sanctuary: A World Wide Panorma
    Friday Afternoon Club