Urban planning community

Thread: Planning for Peace

Registered
    Aug 2001

Planning for Peace

With all the turmoil in the world, and the prospect for what I view as a senseless war in Iraq, what can we as planners and as individuals do to help people visualize the prospects for peace?
    We hear about the Marshall Plan after world war II, and then think ---could there be a plan to assist trouble spots like the Middle East and Iraq, etc. with some real economic development and heck, community and regional planning?
    Sounds better to me than watching TV all the time while hard nosed reporters sing the praises of high-tech bombers taking off from carriers. We rarely see the people who get hurt by the bombers. Just the takeoffs.
    Wishing for a peaceful world
    Earl
    Last edited by Earl Finkler; 16 Nov 2002 at 8:25 PM.
    Earl the Farthest North Cub Fan

Registered
    Oct 2001

A rising tide.

I got to see some people hurt by bombers once. It is not how I would wish anyone to die. I believe you are right in wishing a better world for all, but I don't believe planning is a stand-alone solution. People need primary things like the rule of law, a working economy, infrastructure, functional governments that provide uncorrupt services and education. Once those are in place we can create a universal Toronto-like paradise.

My belief is we, read; America, need to be in the nation building business because a sick nation is like a cancer to all surrounding her. We can't let nations and places go Somali-Haiti anymore. We need to offer robust scalable democracy solutions for the 21st Century.

Thanks for the chance to comment in your corner of Cyburbia, Earl.

Cyburbian Emeritus Perry Norton's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    We received the Dec 2002 issue of National Geographic today. It features the Snowy Owl, and asks the question, "Will Barrow make choices that work for people and owls". The magazine points out that there has been a long history of the Inupiat people and their relationship with the owls. What gives here?

Perry

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: A rising tide.

Originally posted by El Guapo
    We need to offer robust scalable democracy solutions for the 21st Century.
    Are those also b-to-b ecommerce solutions for the next generation?

Registered
    Oct 2001

Re: Re: A rising tide.

Originally posted by bturk

Are those also b-to-b ecommerce solutions for the next generation?

Duh - Next time check your web-based XML server before asking such a question.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Re: Re: A rising tide.

Originally posted by El Guapo

Duh - Next time check your web-based XML server before asking such a question.
    Sorry. That's the Alexander Hamilton in me.

Cyburbian Emeritus Perry Norton's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001

re.re.re.re a rising tide

Well, Barrow is a small one industry town. Will the owls survive if they don't bring a profit? Is this eprofit? And, I don't know what the hell I'm talking about.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Barrow and Urbanization

Hi Perry and all.
    I haven't been able to get a copy of National Geographic to read article on snowy owls yet, but will try to do so and get back to you all.
    We do have considerable urbanization and even some small-town sprawl which can spread out into habitat. But we also have dedicated and hard working people in the Wildlife Management Department of the Borough and many others who monitor and work to protect habitat such as that of the snowy owls.
    Warm holiday greetings. We still have over a month till the sun comes back on January 23. Then we have a 5k Run to the Sun.
    You are all welcome to come up and run with us.
    Earl
    Earl the Farthest North Cub Fan

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 18 Sep 2013, 8:57 AM
  2. Peace Corps
    Student Commons
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 02 Nov 2010, 2:36 PM
  3. Rest In Peace, Karol
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23