Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Poll results: Which best describes your Black Friday experiences?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • I do Black Friday pretty much every year

0 0%
  • I do Black Friday occasionally (usually prodded by others)

3 10.34%
  • I have done Black Friday ONCE - and will never again

6 20.69%
  • I have never done Black Friday on principle

11 37.93%
  • i am BF curious

3 10.34%
  • I used to do Black Friday but no longer participate

3 10.34%
  • other (explain below)

3 10.34%
+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Black Friday

Registered
    Feb 2004

Black Friday

I do not care for Black Friday and have never chosen to participate in this tradition, but I am not going to get all sanctimonious and condemn those who do, as I understand it is possible to save a great deal of money if one is willing to plan ahead and adopt a certain set of attitudes.

1. Have you ever participated in BF?
    2. Did you in any way find the experience exhilarating or fun?
    3. How early did you get up and when did you go to bed that evening?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    it sounds so, so, dirty when you post it like that...

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    We work on this day, so I will not be going, but my wife may take the boys at some point during the day to get a blue-ray player for my MIL.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by luckless pedestrian View post
    it sounds so, so, dirty when you post it like that...
    Purely unintentional I assure you.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2007
    beach_bum's black friday rant:

Ok, I have for many years gone out on Black Friday with friends and family as sort of a tradition. We'd all get up early, hit the shops and then go to Cracker Barrel for bre'frist. Now with all the store open on Thanksgiving, internet deals and the Christmas creep, its just not as fun anymore. Sure the usual suspects will be busy, this year I suspect TVs are going to the deal out there everyone is hunting with flat screens and HDTVs on crazy sales. I've gotten some crazy deals in the past, like the year I bought a large patio heater for my parents at Home Depot for $99 or the internet deal I got for my nephew's batman cave playset...those are fun. I don't get up early any more, just target a few shops for the weekend.

Registered
    Jan 2005
    I would rather spend an extra $20 to not have to deal with the craziness.

I hate going to Macy's on a Tuesday in August. I am sure I would hate it beyond what my body can handle on Black Friday....
    A common mistake people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools. -Douglas Adams

Registered
    Mar 2007
    When I was in undergrad and worked at a department store there were a couple Black Fridays I had to work early (but early back then was like 7:00 a.m. or something semi-reasonable) and I enjoyed the crowds - it made the day go by so fast! After I stopped working there I never had a desire to go shopping for Black Friday but for a few years I did live in an apartment complex right behind Metro Detroit's massive upscale mall and since my wife always had to work that morning (if the financial markets were open, she had to go in to work) so I would walk over to the mall around 8:30 a.m. and marvel at the crowds. It was still fun to do that much, especially if I didn't have to worry about finding a parking spot.

These days I usually spend my Black Friday taking a walk into downtown in the morning and seeing if those stores are doing any more business than usual.

Given the choice, my wife would sleep until noon every day. I cannot imagine she will ever head out for Black Friday shopping.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I participated in Black Friday a few times in the past, mainly to get my holiday shopping out of the way early. Did I find it exhilarating or fun? Not really. I don't enjoy shopping, and I definitely don't like crowds. And malls have become... well, let's just say I stay away from the malls unless there's an item I can't buy anywhere else.

Two years ago, I attended a Black Friday event organized by the downtown organization in a nearby city. I shopped at small, local stores - some of which I'd never been to before - and enjoyed walking around a classic downtown. That was far better than anything the mall could offer, and I didn't have to deal with traffic, crowds, and other nonsense.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I camped out overnight with friends at Best Buy back in college one year, but that's my only Black Friday participation. I wasn't actually there to buy anything--a couple of friends wanted to be first in line for some random thing that I don't recall. We just thought it would be fun to hang out all night. We had a little mini-grill to cook stuff, a cooler of beer, some whiskey, a hot plate for coffee, really comfy chairs, tailgate party games (cornhole, ladderball, washers, etc.). It was really fun and we kept the people in line behind us in good spirits.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Suburb Repairman View post
    I camped out overnight with friends at Best Buy back in college one year, but that's my only Black Friday participation. I wasn't actually there to buy anything--a couple of friends wanted to be first in line for some random thing that I don't recall. We just thought it would be fun to hang out all night. We had a little mini-grill to cook stuff, a cooler of beer, some whiskey, a hot plate for coffee, really comfy chairs, tailgate party games (cornhole, ladderball, washers, etc.). It was really fun and we kept the people in line behind us in good spirits.
    Okay now suppose you lived in Michigan where the overnight temps in late November are typically in the 20's....now consider the fact there are people HERE that camp out on the sidewalk overnight to be first in line. Kinda raises the stakes for the participants (and eyebrows of the onlookers), doesn't it?

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I don't do black Friday. Never have. Several years ago, my Aunt and my Cousin took my wife shopping at 3am... she said never again.

There were a few years that I worked retail and a few years that I worked at a resort while I was in college, so I would be working on those days, but it was not a big deal. Before I met my wife, I would actually get up at a reasonable time on black Friday, drive to the mall, get a coffee, and sit in the middle of the mall to watch the chaos unfold with the realization that I wasn't going to buy anything... or even set foot into one of those stores.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Aug 2002
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    <snip> There were a few years that I worked retail and a few years that I worked at a resort while I was in college, so I would be working on those days, but it was not a big deal.
    Oh yeah - I worked in retail, too, but I think I must have blocked out my Black Friday experience

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I did it once or twice with the old MIL and ex-wife.

Never again for me. Current wifey and I already have our shopping done having accomplished it over the past 2 weeks or so. We just have to but some things for the baby but that's going to be fun, anyway, plus there's no pressure since she's way too young to care what she gets let alone even know that it's Christmas.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    May 2005
    Blog entries
    I've never been one of those early bird shoppers. I have gone shopping on Black Friday later in the day though. Now I try to do as much of my shopping online as possible and as early as possible. A big chunk of it is done. I will have to go to a few brick-and-mortar stores for gift cards, candles, and clothes though, but nothing that I have to do on Friday. That is typically the case for me...the stuff that's on sale on Black Friday is usually stuff we don't need. We're getting my mom a TV this year, so I'm not sure if it's worth it to go on Black Friday, or if there are other sales going on that we can catch some other time. My brother is coordinating that.

I am treating myself though and buying a new bed. There are lots of sales going on this weekend so I'm going to try and cash in on those. The sales have been going on for a few weeks now, so I'm going to try to get over there tonight so I can avoid the crowds this weekend.

I have worked Black Friday in retail and it's not fun. Once at Walgreen's, once at Walmart. At Walgreen's, it was in the pharmacy. You would think people would be too busy shopping to buy drugs, but it was actually a nightmarish day for us. The days after holidays are always like that. I remember the day after Memorial Day being especially bad as well. At Walmart, I had to go in in the evening and work overnight. I worked overnights, so that was no big deal for me. But everyone who was employed there was called in overnight, so it was especially rough on them. Luckily, I had a fairly easy job. Just stand at the door and make sure people aren't stealing stuff. Not like I was trained to stop them, but more as a preventative thing. It really was kinda pointless. There were so many people and receipts to check, that some slipped through the cracks. Oh well.
    "Life's a journey, not a destination"
    -Steven Tyler

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    No Black Friday or Black Friday Creep for me. I have shopped later in the evening on BF, after the fray has died.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I am not now, nor have I ever been, a Black Friday shopper.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Why do so many of you hate America? I've never played BF or will I ever.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmmmm

These days, the only way to convince me into going "out" on the day after Thanksgiving is if I get to walk around Larimer Square and Lower Downtown Denver......the small ice rink, roasted chestnut stands and festive atmosphere are something I enjoy.....and while there are shops everywhere.....I wouldn't be shopping. Oh and I would stop by the Tattered Cover book store. Ahhhhh.......I miss Denver

Zman, quick tell me how great it is so I can live vicariously through you buddy
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I just don't do bf. no reason, just not interested
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 2007
    A few years ago my wife and I used to do Black Friday. Then it got old. Then it got weird during the recession when a) we didn't have much money to spend on gifts and b) people fighting over $5 toasters just seemed wrong.

Last year I did partake. At a cabin in the woods. On the Internet. While having a few beers. My wife and grandmother in law want to go tonight.. I may join just to see this:
    No Signature Required

Registered
    Nov 2006

Fat Cat

I have never participated in Black Friday. I am not against it, but when I hear some of the weird stories from people who do, I wonder if they do it more for the "experience" than for the price

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2008
    IN MY FIRST LIFE, BF WAS
    BEHAVING BADLY on FRIDAY teh 13F.

THIS TIME BF IS
    BRAVELY BUMPING FORGOTTEN FREADS!!

SIGNED,

BF KITTY

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I usually don't participate in the BF craze. I have on more than one occassion waited until late afternoon on BF to shop at specific stores (not the mall). If what I want/need is there in the size/color/etc that I need, then I buy it. Otherwise I go home empty handed.

This year I went to the craft store and returned some stuff. I did also buy a couple of stocking stuffers. That was it. No fuss, no muss, very few people in the store by the time I went.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jan 2013
    Canada sort of introduced Black Friday this year, and to be honest, I'm a little disappointed in our adoption of your ways. Assimilation is occuring, the take over is coming, the end is nigh!

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 27 Nov 2011, 12:05 AM
  2. Black Friday 2010 thread
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 31
    Last post: 30 Nov 2010, 10:48 AM
  3. Replies: 18
    Last post: 30 Nov 2005, 12:53 PM
  4. ZMan's BLACK FRIDAY poll...