Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Networks of Power

Registered
    Nov 2002

Networks of Power

Im new to this Cyburbia thing, however, I have noticed that there is a fair spread of planning related subject areas.

One subject area I have not seen is that of utility infrastructure planning.

Is there anyone engaged in this field?

I am one of the very select few undertaking this type of planning (networked infrastructure) in Australia. I only know of one other - town planner at least. The field of power transmission and distribution seems overrun with engineers.

I would like to gather some information/advice on the concept of "prudent avoidence" in relation to high voltage powerlines and any policy direction in regards to Electro-Magnetic Fields (EMF).

Any help???

Registered
    May 1997
    It has been a few years since I bumped into her, but Idaho Power in Boise did have a planner working on right-of-way, hazard, and other issues. Can't recall her name, but you might try Idaho Power's web site and see what you come up with.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Try energy probe they might have info on EMF and other issues. They are primarily an anti nuke group, that likes to comment on everything power realted.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Lee Nellis
    It has been a few years since I bumped into her, but Idaho Power in Boise did have a planner working on right-of-way, hazard, and other issues. Can't recall her name, but you might try Idaho Power's web site and see what you come up with.
    Thankyou, I will give it a go.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by donk
    Try energy probe they might have info on EMF and other issues. They are primarily an anti nuke group, that likes to comment on everything power realted.
    Tah mate.

I have tried to avoid issue groups in my past research on this stuff, however, I havent had much success with the planning or legislative interests so far

I will give this one a go, it sounds interesting.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. When the Power Goes Out
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 14
    Last post: 29 Sep 2011, 9:16 PM
  2. Online social networks
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 18
    Last post: 24 Aug 2011, 5:44 PM
  3. Power centers
    Design, Space, and Place