Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: General Info on California Grad Programs

General Info on California Grad Programs

Figured I'd share this information (especially for those concerned w/ GRE scores).

Of the 7 accredited California Planning Schools
    -UCLA
    -UC Berkeley
    -UC Irvine
    -USC
    -CSU Pomona (Cal Poly Pomona)
    -CSU SLO (Cal Poly San Luis Obispo)
    -CSU San Jose (San Jose State)

Only Berkeley, UCLA, and SC require a GRE.

CSU Slo, CSU Pomona, CSU San Jose don't require GRE if your GPA is 3.0 and above
    and UCI doesn't require if your GPA is 3.3 and above

Hopefully this can be helpful in the decision making process. Especially for having a "backup plan". Example: if you're from out of state and know you want to live in LA area, apply at CSU Pomona (and possibly UCI) just in case you don't get into USC or UCLA (if you're concerned w/ GRE).

Question

How is funding with the "other" California state schools though? Would a middle of the road candidate at Berkeley or UCLA be seen as a superstar at Pomona or UCI and thus have a better chance of getting some funding?

Quote Originally posted by egarcia33w View post
    How is funding with the "other" California state schools though? Would a middle of the road candidate at Berkeley or UCLA be seen as a superstar at Pomona or UCI and thus have a better chance of getting some funding?
    I'm unsure of the funding from some of the other California schools (I don't know anyone who goes to any of them). But, I do know that the CSU system is usually half the cost of the UC system.

Registered
    Jan 2015
    Excellent info, thank you for sharing. I may try UC Irvine now that I don't need a GRE. I'm still going to do it, but I am a product of No Child Left Behind, and I have been standardized-tested out the wazhoo my entire life. Sometimes a scantron just doesn't show the whole picture.

Quote Originally posted by moltke View post
    Excellent info, thank you for sharing. I may try UC Irvine now that I don't need a GRE. I'm still going to do it, but I am a product of No Child Left Behind, and I have been standardized-tested out the wazhoo my entire life. Sometimes a scantron just doesn't show the whole picture.
    Yeah, I def. understand-I'm not good at standardized testing, did horrible (a little below average on GRE).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. General info on working in Australia
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 25 Dec 2008, 10:39 PM
  2. Replies: 2
    Last post: 07 Jul 2008, 6:46 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 07 May 2008, 12:33 PM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 02 Aug 2007, 12:29 PM