Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Upper Connecticut River Valley Area and Master Plans

Registered
    Mar 2015

Upper Connecticut River Valley Area and Master Plans

Two of the towns in the area where I live have both developed master plans that are focused around compact growth and development and trying to stop spread out low density development from changing the character of the towns by focusing on denser more compact development. I was curious what other smaller towns are doing compared to the ones in my area and peoples thoughts on the master plans.

Lebanon Master Plan Map: http://lebcity.net/Planning/Document...ch26_Final.pdf

Lebanon Master Plan: https://docs.google.com/file/d/0B20u...ZDUm15RDQ/edit

Hartford Master Plan: file:///Users/davidkersey/Downloads/...ENDA%20(2).pdf

Just curious about people thoughts on these plans and how effective they seem as well as what other towns are doing in comparison.

I hope this is the right subforum to put this in.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Plans aren't that big of a thing for Kansas west of Topeka. The cities are spaced out far enough that they only have to plan for themselves and a couple miles outside their limits. Growth isn't that fast either so a plan can sit and still be relative for a few years. Still, everyone likes a good plan. Our local problem is more of a change in elected leadership. One year it's a push to grow and allow special tax districts for infrastructure. Next year those are the worst idea ever and we need to put everything into our downtown.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2015
    Wow that is so different. Where I live everything has some sort of plan or zoning. Even if it is just saying don't change anything no growth area type deal. Also all the land near me is part of a city or town even if it is a very small town.

Politics here is relatively stable on growth. It is a constant push pull of we want to grow but we don't want to lose the quaint New England town look especially in some areas of town. It makes everything really complicated.

Also thanks for the insight on how things work near you.

link for Hartfords plan that will take you to where it can be downloaded: http://www.hartford-vt.org/content/cplanning/

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Take a look at a map of Kansas some time. You'll find all the towns are literally a day's ride by horse apart from each other (for the most part). Most decent towns are about 20k population. I'm in a rare 50k town. Everything else is under 20k and there is a lot of everything else. It's all farm land. Granted we do treat the farm land as valuable and say it shouldn't be built over. Other places I've been treat farm land as a holding zone. I think a lot is just because we have more land and less population than some states.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Mar 2015
    I guess I just assumed places like that would just put some sort of blanket zone saying outside of a town center the land is a rural farming zone or something.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Master plans
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 01 Jul 2007, 6:57 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 30 Dec 2005, 12:09 PM
  3. County Master Plans?
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 08 Oct 2003, 7:10 PM