Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: This should come as no surprise

This should come as no surprise

This is what you get for 30+ years of "Social Studies" in American public schools, instead of separate courses for Geography and History:

http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmp...ography_quiz_1

Of course, a heavy diet of brain-dead sitcoms, reality shows and MTV have contributed to the geographical dumbing-down of youth also. Maybe if little Johnny or little Susie would stop watching Survivor or Road Rules, they might not point to Kansas when asked where Central America is on the map.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Us Americans are so awesome we don't NEED to know where any other country is - unless we're whippin' its ass!

Registered
    Feb 1998
    How come they listed Canada and the United States? Isn't Canada one of the states?

The 'quiz' can be found here if you want to have a go.

I'm now very impressed with myself. I got full marks! I have to admit that I found afganistan by guess work (i.e. shares a border with pakistan, both relatively small... oh look they only give you a choice of four numbers!), and ordinarily I confuse Norway and Sweden for about five seconds while I think about it (but they didn't give Norway's number as an option). I'm actually pretty ashamed of the UK scores considering these are people of my age range.
    Glorious Technicolor, Breath-Taking CinemaScope and Stereophonic Sound!

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Have to admit...I didn't know the answer for this question: What two countries have had a longstanding conflict over the region of Kashmir?

Other than that, I did very well. Anyone notice that Canadia did better than the US on the majority of the questions, including the population of the US???

Very embarrassing.....

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I think this was posted here before, but it needs to be reposted in this thread:

"So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

Registered
    Sep 1999
    My degree is in Geography so every time I see a report like this, it's mind-boggling. Years ago when I was first married (to the now ex-) I was astounded when his high-school age son could not identify New England, the Midwest, or find any major US rivers on a map. Yet he was getting Honors marks in school.

I know public schools have minimized geography over the years, yet I wouldn't want to go back to the boring textbooks I was subjected to in junior high and high school. My son is is a "magnet" science and technology elementary where all the geography studies involve "hands-on" projects so he's having fun and already knows all the major features of the US.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    I got 19 out of 20. The only one was the religion one. I always liked maps and geography in HS.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I got 19 out of 20 - missed the same question as Donk.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    19 out of 20. Should've gone with my gut on the religion question.

Thank God for NPR News.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Moderator's note

I split this thread. For the rest see http://www.cyburbia.org/forums/showt...4562#post44562
    Thanks

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I also missed the religion one. Add up all the non-Christians and there is still a majority of the world's population going to hell.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Originally posted by mike gurnee
    Isn't Canada one of the states?
    Dummy! Canada is the capital of Toronto!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Now Dan, this is your former 'hood. We all know Toronto is a suburb of Buffalo.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Any of you who live in an area that gets CBC, teh funniest special of all time is on friday night "Talking to Americans". can't wait to see the gems of wisdom coming from Profs mouths at Harvard, and Yale. Others who have said some really stupid things include governors and press secretaries. Can't wait to here about Prime Minister Tim Hortons double double or the saskatchewan seal hunt.

Nerudite, you really have to watch this special.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    I got 10 of 10, I think that is a representative sample of my intellect.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by donk
    Any of you who live in an area that gets CBC, teh funniest special of all time is on friday night "Talking to Americans". can't wait to see the gems of wisdom coming from Profs mouths at Harvard, and Yale. Others who have said some really stupid things include governors and press secretaries. Can't wait to here about Prime Minister Tim Hortons double double or the saskatchewan seal hunt.

Nerudite, you really have to watch this special.
    Everyone in the office have been doing little bits and pieces for me and begging me to watch. It's going to be on at 8 p.m. on Friday night, so at the least I'll be able to tape it.

My favorite is Prime Minister Poutine and the Americans that were convinced that timbits are a Canadian weapon. I can't wait.

On my own note, when I was in L.A. last winter to visit my parents, my b.f. and I went to CityWalk at Universal Studios to do some bar hopping. I got carded going in to one of the bars, so I showed him my Alberta driver's liscense. The guy actually said, "Alberta, is that near the province of Calgary"? When we sat down at the bar I was laughing really hard, and my b.f. said, "hey, you should be proud... at least the guy knew we have provinces." Sad, but true.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    here is a link to an intervieew with Rick mercer and some of the past things they have asked.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by mike gurnee
    How come they listed Canada and the United States? Isn't Canada one of the states?
    No. Canada is the pink country above us. If I hold the globe and turn to the side, now they are east of us instead of north.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. SEPTA drops ball again (surprise!)
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 9
    Last post: 12 Jul 2005, 1:30 PM
  2. Replies: 12
    Last post: 08 Jan 2005, 5:13 PM
  3. No Surprise, Really
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 30 Dec 2003, 1:54 PM