Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Dogs

     
    Registered
    Aug 2001

Dogs

I have an application for an increase of 4 to 15 dogs being kept in an RS-1 district. How do you all handle these types of applications? The zoning code just states that more than 4 dogs can only be kept with a conditional use. Should I attempt to gage public sentiment to help me make my recommendation?

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    From my rewrite of the town's draft development code. Hopefully, this might give you some ideas. (The following is still in draft form.)

Companion animal

.05 Definition. A companion animal is a traditional pet, including a domesticated dog, cat, rabbit, ferret, bird, or Vietnamese pot bellied pig. Companion animals do not include exotic canines normally found in the wild (wolves, >=50% wolf hybrids, foxes, coyotes, dingos, etc.), exotic felines normally found in the wild (lions, tigers, cougars, etc.), poultry, game and fighting birds; hoofed and cloven animals; and any species that has not been bred to live in captivity and serve as a companion animal; these animals are considered inappropriate in residential areas.

.10 Permitted by right: conditions. Up to four companion animals may live at a residence.

.15 Permitted by administrative review. The Town Planner may issue permission for a resident to have from five to eight companion animals at a residence, considering lot size and location; and breed traits such as size, energy, temperament and potential for noise. A negative decision by the Town Planner may be appealed to the Planning and Zoning Board, through applying for a special review approval for a kennel or cattery.

.20 Permitted by special review. Refer to the regulations for a kennel.

.25 Litters. Refer to the regulations for a kennel.

Kennel

.05 Definition. A kennel is a facility where the overnight boarding of dogs, cats or other companion animals; and/or breeding of companion animas, is conducted as a business.

.10 Permitted by special review. Keeping a large number of pets will require special attention to determine that determine if they will have an adverse affect on the surrounding area, and that the pets are kept in a humane environment. Special review approval is required to keep more than eight pets on a property, or when the Town Planner feels special review is appropriate to study the impact of housing more than four pets. The following criteria will be used in determining special review approval:

• The applicant is a “hobby breeder,” breeding occasional litters (two per year per unsprayed female) only to supply pets to individual owners at minimal profit (not pet stores, wholesalers, laboratories or “bunchers”); or a legitimate animal rescue operation that works to rehabilitate and rehome pets.
    • The applicant does not plan to operate a “puppy mill” or “cat mill,” where pets are bred solely for profit.
    • Pets will be kept in a clean, safe and humane environment.
    • Pets will be considered and treated not as mere breeding stock, but as an integral part of their human host family.
    • Noise and odor will not be more significant than what would be expected for a “normal” resident with a pet.

.15 Litters. Pet owners may have up to two litters for every unaltered female pet at a residence per year. Pets under 26 weeks old are not included in the overall count of companion animals at a residence.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I am doing some research around this issue, so i revive this thread. I am looking at some condition for individuals who wish to have over X number of dogs to meet in order to have them. does anyone have any regulations? Items i am looking at are minimum lot size, waste disposal, housing and so-on.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Hot dogs
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 14 Apr 2014, 3:52 PM
  2. Rescue dogs
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 26
    Last post: 06 Aug 2012, 8:29 PM
  3. Dogs vs. Cats
    Friday Afternoon Club