Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Commute Time

Registered
    Oct 2001
    So, what happened to the promise of telecommuting? I know I could phone at least two days a week of this job in. Current planners, your screwed, but us visionary guys, why we were just designed for that telecommunting.

Mike G - If you could haul a Lap Top into a certain hang out of yours would you ever go back to the office?

Should this be its own thread?

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by nerudite

Hey, and do I get to count the time I spend going out to turn on the car to warm up whilst still in my jammies? This even precedes the de-icing of the windshields (or occasionally door handles). Sheesh!
    Buy a remote starter.

Not that I wouldn't want to see you running around in your jammies...
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Feb 1998
    4 to 7 minutes. Depends on whether we have a tail or a head wind. Cross winds can be the worst. I tried to bike one time, but too old to face a 30 mph head wind.

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Hey Guap,
    telecommuting is worth a thread. may work in some instances, but the last time I tried to work at home for a couple of days to get a product out, I was told not to. I was "expected" to be in the office.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Mastiff

Buy a remote starter.

Not that I wouldn't want to see you running around in your jammies...
    It's on my Christmas short list... I'll cross my fingers that I've been good enough this year that I get something nice from Santa.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: Wheeeee!!!

Originally posted by prudence
    25 minutes, reverse commute.
    And Prudence now has the longest commute of anyone in our planning office (although our GIS Coordiantor is practically his neighbor, and I used yo be also).

My new and improved commute is down to 10 minutes with rush hour traffic (also still technically a reverse commute I guess).

Registered
    Dec 2001
    20 miles and 25 minutes each way.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    While my commute time is short, my travel time to do anything fun is really long (minimum 1:45 each way) Some times I wish i could live someplace where my commute time was longer but the travel time to amenities was shorter.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 1998

Re: Wheeeee!!!

Originally posted by prudence
    25 minutes, reverse commute.
    How about a 50 minute reverse commute!

     
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    30 min. more or less. Plus a long walk from the parking lot.

I really need to take the bus again...picks me up a block from my house and drops me across the street from the office. If only there weren't night meetings, errands, haircuts, sick kids...

Stupid non-transit oriented city. Did anyone know Cincinnati defeated a light rail tax referendum recently? In our brilliance, we turned our backs on a 3X match from the state and feds to construct a robust light rail/bus transit system.

Registered
    Sep 1998
    Complain all you want about our Canadian weather - coming originally from the U.S., you should take the opportunity to savour NOT having to dodge bullets on the way out to the car as is the case in many parts of the U.S.A.

Before you take a strip of my ass for the preceeding remark, I might just mention that I have worked in the U.S. and have have already walked a mile in those shoes.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by pandersen
    Complain all you want about our Canadian weather - coming originally from the U.S., you should take the opportunity to savour NOT having to dodge bullets on the way out to the car as is the case in many parts of the U.S.A.

Before you take a strip of my ass for the preceeding remark, I might just mention that I have worked in the U.S. and have have already walked a mile in those shoes.
    My complaints are all tongue in cheek... the Canadian weather is fine for about hmmmmm... 10 months out of the year. In about a month I'll be thinking "why in the hell did I move here???" But most of the time it's just fun to complain about the weather... it's the #1 conversation topic of most Canadians, so I figure I'll just fit right in.

As for dodging bullets, didn't you work in Detroit? I don't think that's indicative of the entire U.S. Whereas freezing your ass off is pretty much par for the course in most of Canada.

But, yes, I have been held up in a 7-11 at gunpoint (or rather the 7-11 was held up and I was in it) and mugged three times. And I don't miss fearing driving at night (except for hitting black ice and spinning into a ditch) and all the other extra precautions I had back in L.A. So I'll give ya that much.

Registered
    Nov 2002
    Originally posted by Andy Dobson
    Stupid non-transit oriented city. Did anyone know Cincinnati defeated a light rail tax referendum recently? In our brilliance, we turned our backs on a 3X match from the state and feds to construct a robust light rail/bus transit system.
    Just imagine what the city would still be like if Jerry Springer was still mayor.

     
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by Seabishop

Just imagine what the city would still be like if Jerry Springer was still mayor.
    I don't know...most of the clowns in our City Hall aren't much better than a chair brawl between Transvestives Who Love Their Boyfriend's Goldfish, or whatever the hell gets on his show.

I've grown attached to this city in my time here. But man, our city leaders need to take a page from George Costanza's book and play "opposite day" for a while--where they read their intuition and instincts, and do the exact opposite. Maybe then cops wouldn't be killing quite so many suspects, population loss could be stemmed, schools could be funded, the Bengals wouldn't suck so much...

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Hey Andy,
    Was it not Cincy/Northern KY that built a subway system decades ago...only to find that the trains were too big to fit in the already constructed tunnels?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I drive solo about 62 miles each way for work. Mostly through rolling hills and farmland, where I see as many tractors, deer and turkeys (the feathered type) on or near the road as I do other cars.

Why the distance?
    - Wife's employment in no where near mine.
    - For conveinience sake, our home is near both child care and her job.

In a prior job, work was a lovely 12 minute walk away. And our daycare provider was midway between work and home. Those were the days.......

     
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by mike gurnee
    Hey Andy,
    Was it not Cincy/Northern KY that built a subway system decades ago...only to find that the trains were too big to fit in the already constructed tunnels?
    I think the whole thing fell apart in the 20s because of rampant political machine corruption. Massive kickbacks, patronage, that sort of thing.

http://www.cincinnati-transit.net/subway.html

That in part led to the reform movements in Cincinnati, and establishment of the Charter Party and loads of planning innovations. Unfortunately, that progressive spirit has eroded since then

But hey, all is not lost!

http://www.communitycompass.org/

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

More at Cyburbia

1. Wow - that commute!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 49
    Last post: 16 May 2007, 10:28 AM
  2. The ideal commute
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 51