Urban planning community

Poll results: Would you stop by a neighbor's holiday drop in?

Voters
23. You may not vote on this poll
  • No way! Go to a stranger's house? If I'd wanted to meet them, I would have already been over.

2 8.70%
  • Sure - I think it is a perfectly lovely idea.

18 78.26%
  • Eh - probably not. Who has time?

1 4.35%
  • Other - elucidated below.

2 8.70%
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Am I crazy?

Registered
    Oct 2000

Am I crazy?

Ok, I know the initial answer is yes..... but keep reading. We've been in our house for almost two years and have yet to meet anyone in our neighborhood aside from our immediate next door neighbors and directly across the street. So I was thinking - hey - it's the holiday season! A perfect excuse to host a drop in, say between 2-4 on a Saturday afternoon, make coffee, put out cookies, etc. I'm pretty sure Rob (my husband) thinks I'm insane. He's never heard of this before.

Anyway, we don't have kids yet, and probably not for a while, and I just thought it would be nice to know our neighborhood. Rob's practically a hermit, so although he's not gung-ho about this idea, he's willing to indulge me. I was just wondering if this is really a stupid idea.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    I think its a great idea, ive had like things before-being the social butterfly and all.

have at it and it will help you get all in the holiday mood

PG
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It's a good idea, but the neighbors are probably thinking, "It's been tow years? Why now?"

I would have done an open house with my last move, but being a gentrifier, I would have had to bolt down the furniture and hide the good china...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I voted for the sure why not option... if it's something you think sounds good, then go for it. Personally, I tend toward the hermit side and I already know most of my neighbors. They already drop over at odd hours, so I wouldn't want to encourage them anymore than they do at this point. But if you are looking to meet more neighbors, this sounds like a great idea!

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2002
    K

not a stupid idea, my wife would do it and I would go along I guess.

I would serve booze, however.

Registered
    Jul 2002
    I think it's a good idea but don't be disappointed if not too many people show up.
    First, it's a busy time of year for most people.
    Second, people might think you might be trying to sell them Amway or something
    Third, people are just generally more paranoid nowadays.

If you do do it, make sure you include your phone # so people can call with questions to alleviate thier fears.

Oh and free food/booze never hurt!
    "So, if a city has a personality, maybe it also has a soul. Maybe it dreams." -Gaiman
    ArchBoston

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    I think it's a great idea, but if you live in a neighbourhood where after two years you haven't had a lot of contact with the neighbours, I'm not sure how many of 'em are going to drop by.

How were you planning on advertising the event? Maybe just start with the neighbours you do know. See if they are friendly with any additional neighbours that might be interested.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Go for it, Kel. SOunds like fun. And I bet there will be others in your neighborhood who will be glad you did. ALl it takes is someone to break the ice and who knows maybe a block party next summah.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I don't know about this one...

Not only would I not want people I didn't know in my house, if one of my neighbors had one of these things I wouldn't want to go.

I don't know just seems weird...

Registered
    Feb 2002
    Hmmmmm.... I think it's a good idea, but the others have some good points, about not knowing who would stop by.

Whats the atmosphere like in your neighborhood? We just moved in two years ago, and we have only met three of ours, but wave to the others when they drive by, etc. Basically pretty friendly . Someone new just moved in a couple months ago and I wanted to take over some cookies or bread or something and Chad thought it was stupid so I didn't. What do men know anyway...

Anywho, what about making a plate of cookies to deliver around with a little note attached? Of course if they are too paranoid to stop over, they might be scared there are staples in the no bakes or something. But at least that would get you out to meet everyone and starts the ball rolling.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    Last year, two new families at the other end of our street held a block party in the evening about a week before X-mas and had a pretty good turnout. Since we're in Florida, it was on the lawn between their homes, and BYOB and/or an appetizer to share. They also organized one of those displays of lights in paper bags down the neighborhood streets, and got the materials and gave them out to all the residents who wanted them for a couple dollars each. I'm sure they're wondering if anyone else will take up the challenge and do it this year.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I don't think that I would try this during the holidays, but it does sound fun. Since you've been there for two years and haven't met a lot of the neighbors, why don't you co-host an event with one of the neighbors you know and get along with? That would ease the anxiety of anyone who doesn't know you yet.

How about a mid-winter thing, when people have cabin fever? Or a Mardi-Gras party the weekend before Ash Wednesday, whenever that falls. Decide if you want people you invite to bring their kids, and plan food/drink accordingly.

Anyway, you seem nice enough to me. If I lived in your neighborhood, I'd go to your party.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Originally posted by kms

Anyway, you seem nice enough to me. If I lived in your neighborhood, I'd go to your party.
    Hee. thanks, KMS.

I was thinking I would just send out a little flyer saying something along the lines that we've been in the neighborhood for a little while, but haven't had the opportunity to meet many of the neighbors, so we're having a drop in on saturday afternoon, between 2-4. Please feel free to stop by even if you only have a couple of minutes (so people don't feel pressured to stay long) - have coffee and cookies, have their kids decorate a holiday cookie or two with frosting and just say hi. The four neighbors that we know are all super old, but we have seen kids on bikes, and on walks around the neighborhood have seen big wheels in driveways - indicating presence of younger families. It just seems so hard to meet people outside of work (topic for a whole other thread - along the lines of how american society has changed since the days of the welcome wagon and bowling leagues.)

Registered
    Dec 2001
    You can always invite them over for bong hits...

Get to see who all the "kewl kids" in the neighborhood are.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Toga Toga Toga Toga

I think your wanting to connect is natural. I do the cold drop by to meet new neighbors. It always seems to work. But I think your situation calls for a keg in the yard. That will draw out the fun neighbors and those are the ones you want to meet anyway.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Tis the season to be jolly

Funny I am hearing most of the nays from the guys whereas the gals are saying yea...

How many are you inviting Kel? I like the cookie decorating idea too! Here's an idea: set out a ittle sign in your yard with balloons during the open house times - sort of a welcoming and beckoning call to the families you want to meet, put on holiday music, get the holiday decorations out and you'll have a crowd!

And don't be shy guys there is lots of interesting topics for small talk among neighbors! house maintenance, hobbies, football, lawn care, oh the excitement of it all!

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Try a game of naked Twister on the front lawn...

That'll have 'em coming in droves.
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Dec 1998
    As long as it doesn't turn into one of those 70's style neighborhood swing parties I used to hear about, then it would be cool.

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by Planderella
    As long as it doesn't turn into one of those 70's style neighborhood swing parties I used to hear about, then it would be cool.
    What was wrong with those?
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    C'mon and get me you twist of fate
    I'm standing right here Mr. Destiny
    If you want to talk well then I'll relate
    If you don't so what cause you don't scare me

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I say go for the bong hits in the kitchen, keg stands in the backyard, and 2-story funnels on th eside of the house.

That outta keep all the old ladies away

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. HA! Well.... I went crazy.....
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 42
    Last post: 10 Mar 2005, 11:38 AM
  2. All planners are crazy... but
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 20 Jul 2004, 5:45 PM
  3. Those crazy french