Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: To change your cell phone number or to not change your cell phone number... that is the question

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.

To change your cell phone number or to not change your cell phone number... that is the question

Moving allows people the option to change their cell phone number if they so choose. I am on the fence about it and my wife said that she wants to keep her number.

What are the benefits to changing your phone number to a "local" number after you move?
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    With the prevalence of cell phones over land lines and one-touch calling (press your intended's name on smartphone), it's really unnecessary to change the number.

I have a friend in metro Chicago that still has an Atlanta, GA number when she lived/worked there about 10+ years ago.

My wife and I still have Chicago numbers despite having been in OH for the last ~5 years.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

Registered
    May 2002
    I wouldn't change it unless there is some pressing reason. What would be the purpose of changing it?
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Change it so you get a new caller ID. That way all the people who wouldn't answer your calls will answer them now. Won't that be fun!
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Change it so you get a new caller ID. That way all the people who wouldn't answer your calls will answer them now. Won't that be fun!
    I generally don't answer calls from unknown numbers. Especially if its an out of town area code.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    My daughter lives in NC and still has her home area code. She usedt a temporary phone with NC area code and decided to keep the PA phone number.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    I didn't change mine when I moved, and neither did hubby. Granted, we're still in the same state, so most locals know that the call is at least in-state, but we didn't see any reason to get a land line and new numbers.
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Feb 2007
    My wife and I changed our numbers about a year after we moved here. I had my cell phone number for almost 10 years by that time, she was running on 5 plus with hers. We decided to change to feel more connected to the community, plus our area code has a nice ring to it being all high and mighty in the 805.
    No Signature Required

I changed to a local number when I switched companies. Sprint is about as effective as smoke signals here. When the phone I had with them died, I got a new phone with a new company and a new number.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Dec 2005
    Blog entries
    If you've had the number a long time, keep it. Since long distance calling has gone the way of the dodo bird, it doesn't matter much anymore. If you get assigned a work phone, you can use that as your local number.
    "He defended the cause of the poor and needy, and so all went well. Is that not what it means to know me?" Jeremiah 22:16

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by kjel View post
    If you've had the number a long time, keep it. Since long distance calling has gone the way of the dodo bird, it doesn't matter much anymore. If you get assigned a work phone, you can use that as your local number.
    This.

I've found that that is the one good use of my work cell phone... which I was required to get precisely because I refused to change my personal cell phone number to a "248" area code instead of my "586" number that I've had for about 15 years. Working for a local government that uses the area code in a bit of their marketing, I can sort of see their side of the argument though.

Being in a major metro though, I have friends in the area with 5 different U.S. area codes and 2 Canadian area codes.

Even when I lived in NC I used a Michigan "586" area code instead of the local "910". With all of the military in North Carolina and all of the Yankees and out-of-staters who have moved to the RTP over the past couple of decades, I don't think anybody would bat an eye at an out of area area code. I would have to imagine that there are certain areas in NC that have a really high concentration of foreign area codes, relative to the overall population.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    This.

I've found that that is the one good use of my work cell phone... which I was required to get precisely because I refused to change my personal cell phone number to a "248" area code instead of my "586" number that I've had for about 15 years. Working for a local government that uses the area code in a bit of their marketing, I can sort of see their side of the argument though.

Being in a major metro though, I have friends in the area with 5 different U.S. area codes and 2 Canadian area codes.

Even when I lived in NC I used a Michigan "586" area code instead of the local "910". With all of the military in North Carolina and all of the Yankees and out-of-staters who have moved to the RTP over the past couple of decades, I don't think anybody would bat an eye at an out of area area code. I would have to imagine that there are certain areas in NC that have a really high concentration of foreign area codes, relative to the overall population.
    I have had this number for about 10 years now and I kept going over the pros and cons of changing but I could not come up with a good reason to change it beyond having a 'local' number. It would seem the idea of a local number does not justify the hassle of letting everyone know that I changed it.

One thing that we might do is set up a new Google Voice number that is local. There are now VoIP boxes that you can program to use Google Voice and you plug a regular phone into. Google Voice is free and the VoIP box is about $25. So it would seem to be a win/win and give a us a home phone that can also forward to my cell phone.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    May 2002
    Funny thing about cell numbers. After we moved from MI to KY, I changed my cell number but Her Highness didn't. Later, I moved back to MI. That means that she's in KY with a MI number and I'm in MI with a KY number.

I don't worry about it much, but I do make sure that I give my area code every time I give out my number.

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    So many metro areas have gone to having multiple active area codes that I don't view it as necessary to change it.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I still have my Chicago area number even though I've lived in two different states since I was in IL. I've had it for almost 15 years so it seems like it would be more of a hassle to change it and have to let everyone I know what my new number is. On the plus side, maybe I'd get fewer spam calls for a while.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Apr 2006
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I have had this number for about 10 years now and I kept going over the pros and cons of changing but I could not come up with a good reason to change it beyond having a 'local' number. It would seem the idea of a local number does not justify the hassle of letting everyone know that I changed it.

One thing that we might do is set up a new Google Voice number that is local. There are now VoIP boxes that you can program to use Google Voice and you plug a regular phone into. Google Voice is free and the VoIP box is about $25. So it would seem to be a win/win and give a us a home phone that can also forward to my cell phone.
    No need to change it. I still have a DC number and I have not lived there for almost 8 years. I did the Google Voice thing for a while but it did not seem to matter so I dropped it. My work phone is the local exchange so if someone needs a local number I use it. There is no reason to make the switch unless you feel the need or desire to have one...which if you do is enough reason to switch.
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I kept my number. The only downside (other than the occasional comment that I am a carpetbagger Masshole) is that this area doesn't use area codes in normal dialing so folks have to take an extra effort to call me (and visa versa) until we are on speed dial with each other

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Don't read the comments section. You want to, but don't do it.

Registered
    Dec 2008
    I have no doubt that my children with their phones will never have another phone number, no matter where they go, and I don't think any of them will ever have a land line number that's not at an office they're working.

After my dad died last year, my 73 year old mother was free to ditch the land line - and have the number they'd used for that line for 43 years assigned to her cell phone account.
    "...I would never try to tick Hink off. He kinda intimidates me. He's quite butch, you know." - Maister

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Yeah.....

Quote Originally posted by Raf View post
    ....... plus our area code has a nice ring to it being all high and mighty in the 805.

Well, I'm in the mighty 666.......ah er.....I mean the 661 and I still use my Arizona 928 cell phone......
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by The One View post

Well, I'm in the mighty 666.......ah er.....I mean the 661 and I still use my Arizona 928 cell phone......
    I have a 616 in the 919... On and the last four spell Mike.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I still have my 512 cell number from 2009, and I'm on the fence about changing it. I've been getting a lot of junk calls lately - blocking them with an app, but the thought f starting fresh is tempting. I have a 10 year old 716 Google Voice number, back from the GrandCentral days, tied to the phone. Buffalonian for life!

My GF has an 818 number that's over 15 years old. It's catchy and easy to remember, and she said it's going to the grave with her. San Fernando Valley for life!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 21
    Last post: 18 Mar 2014, 9:50 AM
  2. Cell Phone etiquette
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 20
    Last post: 01 Jul 2013, 2:09 PM
  3. Looking for new cell phone.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 19
    Last post: 07 Apr 2005, 12:45 PM