Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Parking lot design standards to reduce heat island effect

Registered
    May 2013

Parking lot design standards to reduce heat island effect

I am looking to see if anyone has any information that would provide design standards for parking lots to reduce heat island effect within them. We have found that our parking lot shade tree requirement is not as effective as we intended when it was designed. I am not looking for other methods of reducing the heat island effect other than just shade trees. Some options include increasing general landscape area, installing carports with reflective roofs, and/or providing a pavement surface with a certain percentage of reflective.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I don't have any specific standards, but you might want to look at MAG (Maricopa Association of Governments). It's the Phoenix area MPO. I think they may have done some work on the area. I can only offer the usual. Concrete over asphalt or use impervious soil parking. Shade and reflection like you mentioned. Wind orientation might be a small help.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Jul 2009
    Quote Originally posted by tbagato View post
    I am looking to see if anyone has any information that would provide design standards for parking lots to reduce heat island effect within them. We have found that our parking lot shade tree requirement is not as effective as we intended when it was designed. I am not looking for other methods of reducing the heat island effect other than just shade trees. Some options include increasing general landscape area, installing carports with reflective roofs, and/or providing a pavement surface with a certain percentage of reflective.
    I'll wager your peninsulas and islands do not have enough soil volume to support the trees you require, and you don't require decompaction under them. Also, I bet the spacing between islands-peninsulas is too wide. Possibly perimeter plantings are the same. PM me to let me see your ordinance & discuss, I'll try to remember to check messages PDQ.
    -------
    Give a man a gun, and he can rob a bank. Give a man a bank, and he can rob the world.

Registered
    May 2013
    Quote Originally posted by ColoGI View post
    I'll wager your peninsulas and islands do not have enough soil volume to support the trees you require, and you don't require decompaction under them. Also, I bet the spacing between islands-peninsulas is too wide. Possibly perimeter plantings are the same. PM me to let me see your ordinance & discuss, I'll try to remember to check messages PDQ.
    I sent the code in a message. Let me know if you got it, and what your thoughts are. I forgot to include my email, but it is tbagato at cityofpalmdesert org
    Last edited by mendelman; 24 Jun 2015 at 8:54 AM.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 26
    Last post: 04 Dec 2011, 7:50 AM
  2. Parking Parking lot maintenance standards
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 29 Jun 2009, 4:36 PM
  3. Parking Parking standards
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 11 Jul 2007, 11:41 PM