Urban planning community | #theplannerlife
+ Reply to thread

Thread: Transportation masters programs with regional focus?

Registered
    Jul 2015

Transportation masters programs with regional focus?

Hi there,

I'm a bicycle advocate (currently working at a nonprofit) looking to go back to school to get a degree in transportation planning. My main interests lie in regional planning - especially improving active transportation, transit, and connectivity in suburban/rural areas. Does anyone know of any schools with that focus? I believe the biking and walking movement is reaching a tipping point in (most) major cities and is in the experienced hands of planners there - I want to learn how to grow it out to the sprawl.

Many thanks for any/all advice!

Quote Originally posted by lizaburkin View post
    Hi there,

I'm a bicycle advocate (currently working at a nonprofit) looking to go back to school to get a degree in transportation planning. My main interests lie in regional planning - especially improving active transportation, transit, and connectivity in suburban/rural areas. Does anyone know of any schools with that focus? I believe the biking and walking movement is reaching a tipping point in (most) major cities and is in the experienced hands of planners there - I want to learn how to grow it out to the sprawl.

Many thanks for any/all advice!
    UCLA

Registered
    Nov 2002
    There are lots of schools that could work for you. I'd choose a metro area you want to be working in after graduation and find a school near there. In that kind of field, work experience and volunteering is going to be crucial. Find a place that has organizations that work on these issues.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013
    Most schools don't really do a good job of regional planning per se (at least not through a designated concentration, and even then it's usually more economic development oriented, not transportation focused).

I would advise learning as much as you can in school about the technical and policy side of transportation planning, and then doing your internship at a regional planning agency/MPO, like CMAP (northeastern IL) or a nonprofit like the Active Transportation Alliance in Chicago. The former has a great graduate summer internship called the Phillip D. Peters Fellowship specifically geared towards people with an interest in regional planning.

Registered
    Sep 2016
    I have same interest with you.. Good luck.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013
    Intern at an MPO or COG (regional planning agency) that is doing active transportation/bike/ped work. You'll learn a lot and gain some great experience with regional/suburban bike network stuff. I would highly recommend applying for the Peters Fellowship at the Chicago Metropolitan Agency for Planning between your first and second year of grad school!

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 4
    Last post: 05 Mar 2014, 2:07 AM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 26 Jan 2010, 11:25 PM
  3. Replies: 5
    Last post: 10 Jan 2008, 11:09 PM
  4. Replies: 14
    Last post: 15 Oct 2004, 12:36 PM
  5. Replies: 3
    Last post: 08 Feb 2001, 11:04 AM