Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Why Earth’s future will depend on how we build our cities

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003

Why Earth’s future will depend on how we build our cities

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/e...ld-our-cities/

but we rarely think about what it means for city planning.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Yes, the future will demand more density to conserve energy, resources, etc. It will be a cold day when we finally accept that. People like me don't want to give up the front yard.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Aug 2003
    The ego it requires to think the Earth will be harmed by our actions is amazing to me. Earth will go on as if we never existed. Life on it, and especially our life, will certainly be jeopardized and I fear destroyed.

As someone recently noted, we changed the Earth's atmosphere by accident, because we didn't know we could do it. But if we choose not to do anything about climate change now, it will be on purpose. Woe to us.
    The old women used to say you could tell the next day’s weather, by whether you could hear the highway or the railroad at night. I recall that they were right more often than not.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

How we develop

A related article about the San Joaquin Valley: http://www.citylab.com/politics/2015...growth/410872/

The Deputy Director in this article exudes a typical amount of insensitivity to existing run down communities.....a CHRONIC problem in the planning profession. We gravitate towards serving the rich and land owners through our policy making. Equity in planning will become a major issue in the future....or at least it should.
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Quote Originally posted by Gedunker View post
    The ego it requires to think the Earth will be harmed by our actions is amazing to me. Earth will go on as if we never existed. Life on it, and especially our life, will certainly be jeopardized and I fear destroyed.

As someone recently noted, we changed the Earth's atmosphere by accident, because we didn't know we could do it. But if we choose not to do anything about climate change now, it will be on purpose. Woe to us.
    If we are talking about the Earth as the rocky ball that orbits the Sun, yes, we cannot harm it. We can use it up and as a result die, and the Earth will continue on and perhaps what remains living will evolve into new species that can survive the new situation and will continue to evolve as things gradually change.

But if we are talking about the Earth as that rocky ball, the thin layer of gases held to it by gravity, the plants, animals, viruses, rivers, oceans, lakes, mountains, etc., I believe we definitely can harm the Earth and have been doing so for centuries. The passenger pigeon, the dodo, the Tasmanian wolf and many other species of plants and animals have been wiped out by us. Man came to the Galapogos Islands, which were once covered with forests, but man used up the forest.

It is our massive conceit that drives us to continue to act as if the Earth is ours to use up.

I think it is also deluded conceit that think that how we build our cities will make a perceptible difference in saving the Earth's ecosystems and affect global climate change. Redesigning cities to save the planet is about as effective as using a kid's beach pail to hold back a flood. The effort is noble but the results are infintesimal.

We are not doomed. But perhaps our children's grandchildren will see the time when the world will be a much different and less hospitable place.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 27 Aug 2014, 12:38 PM
  2. Replies: 11
    Last post: 09 Dec 2013, 6:50 PM
  3. Future of cities
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 36
    Last post: 26 Feb 2007, 11:21 AM
  4. Replies: 0