Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: What's the difference between getting an MUD vs. MUP with a concentration in urban design?

Registered
    Oct 2015

What's the difference between getting an MUD vs. MUP with a concentration in urban design?

Is one more employable than the other in urban design firms? urban planing firms?

I guess I am wondering why does "MUP with urban design concentration" exist?

Registered
    Oct 2015
    One of the reasons that I am asking this is because I am interested in both transportation planning and urban design, which leads me to a few more questions...

I am wondering how beneficial an urban design concentration would be. Would having one concentration over the other would limit my jobsearch? For example, if I specialize in urban design but take a few transportation planning courses, would I be qualified to take a job in transportation planning? and vice versa?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013
    A MUD is a shorter, more intense post professional degree 1-1.5(ish) year degree, usually meant for after a 5 year architecture/landscape arch professional degree to "broaden their realm", so to speak. It's really not meant for planners unless you finished an MUP and have a new desire to build a design portfolio and work for an design firm. Though it can depend too. In the city where I'm in, CMU's MUD program is now 2 years and resembles a planning degree more than other MUD degrees.

The question is what do you want and what do you think you have the skills for? A Planning degree is much more broad and less technical than a MUD. It's also more flexible and allows a lot of room for electives. MUDs are shorter, tend to have a stricter curriculum and are extremely small (<10 people per cohort, very studio focused).

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 02 Jul 2014, 12:32 PM
  2. Replies: 14
    Last post: 18 Jan 2014, 8:52 PM
  3. Urban design concentration
    Student Commons
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 05 Aug 2010, 4:02 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 29 May 2009, 2:38 PM