Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Graduate/PhD 2015-2016 applications and acceptance notices: United States

Graduate/PhD 2015-2016 applications and acceptance notices: United States

New thread for the application period this year! Post your stats, ask questions, or anything. Good Luck to all!

Registered
    May 2006
    I was just accepted as a graduate degree student for the Master in Urban Planning at CUNY Hunter. I am pretty excited. Just mailed my deposit and I start in February.

Hunter was the only school I applied to and obviously was my top choice. I am ecstatic to have gotten in.

Had I not been accepted I was planning to re-apply to Hunter and also Pratt, SUNY Buffalo, Wayne State, UMass Amherst, University of Washington (as a "high hopes" school) and UIC.

When was your app due? did you apply for fall 2016 and they just let you know really early? That would be pretty awesome

Registered
    May 2006
    I applied for the Spring semester. I had to have my App in by September 15th because although I am a native New Yorker my undergrad degree is from Canada so I had to submit earlier than the normal October 1st deadline.

I heard back that I was accecpted on November 10th via email I got my letter in the mail two days ago.

Fall deadline I believe is March 1st. I heard back from them in less than two months and I thought that was a pretty good turnaround.

Why not apply to Hunter and SUNY Buffalo? I have allot of pride in my State's public institutions. If you apply now for Fall 2016, I'm sure you'd hear back by next summer.

I'll start it out with my info!

Applying for a Masters in Planning this year to 7 schools. I went to UCLA (just graduated in 2015) and majored in Geography. In addition (and really my actual focus) I have a minor in Urban and Regional Studies.

GPA: 3.52 at UCLA (3.73 total undergrad)

Past Work: 4 years as an architecture assistant, Honor's Thesis

Current Work: Research at the Lewis Center, Planner at a non-profit in Palms, Outreach/ Bike coordinator in Santa Monica, member of a handful of relevant committees/commissions, and I attend a number of association meetings each month. For the most part my work revolves around community and economic development with a particular emphasis on improving transportation infrastructure for the community.

Applying to:
    Berkeley
    UCLA
    USC
    UT-Austin
    Harvard (might be switched for another east coast school)
    UCI
    Cal Poly Pomona

Can't wait to hear from the rest of you guys, and good luck to all!

Applications

Applying for a Masters in Planning this year to several schools. I went to the University of Iowa (just graduated in 2015) and majored in Geography with a focus in GIS.

Current: 4 years as an IT Analyst and Working with Autistic Adults.

Applying to:
    Cal Poly SLO
    UIOWA
    U Oregon
    ISU
    Ball State

GRE V 157 Q 148 Writing 3.5
    I have question regarding GPA. I went to community college 9 years ago and got bad grades 2.3 GPA. Upon returning to school I improved my GPA my overall is a 2.7 because of the transferred credits and my Iowa GPA is a 2.99 for the last two years and I have a Major GPA of 3.54. I was just wondering how likely it was I can get into the schools above. I know I can get into Iowa because of my contacts with the professors but was looking to move and was hoping for some advice.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013

ISU + BSU

Even though your work/volunteer experience is completely different, given your undergrad in geography and GIS, you might be a good fit for ISU and BSU. I went to ISU for undergrad and the Master's program is very small and more of a generalist program. Which can be great if you want close faculty interaction, good funding, experience with being a TA, and networking in the Midwest. I had applied to Ball State for grad school as well, and I found that program to also be small and well funded, but more technical and practical oriented.

downside: It will be a little harder for you to network outside the Midwest. But if you don't mind that, then they are both good programs.

Registered
    Dec 2015
    Hi guys. I'm applying for Fall 2016 and thought I'd post my stats and ask for your opinion for my chance of getting in.

Undergrad: UC Santa Cruz '12 Environmental Studies
    Work experience: I'm currently a full time Assistant Engineer for city government in the transportation: pedestrian/bike planning division, mainly doing data/GIS. So I have a year so far of experience, plan on staying here for the rest of my working life. Before that I assisted engineers in the water/power department, did some field work for some environmental consultants. Had around 4 environmental internships in undergrad with GIS/teaching experience. Probably work experience is my strongest on my app.
    GPA: 2.95. So close to 3.0 but not quite.
    GRE: Take them in two days, but my two practice tests gave me a score of V: 154 and Q: 156. Hoping for 156-158 on the real one.

Applying for:
    Cal Poly Pomona MURP (Transportation focus)
    Cal State Northridge MUP

Neither of these are exactly top of the line highly competitive schools, but they work best with my full time schedule.
    Hoping for Cal Poly Pomona.

you have some solid work experience! Just curious what city you work with? Somewhere in East La obviously based on the schools.

Quote Originally posted by delder07lt View post

Applying for a Masters in Planning this year to several schools. I went to the University of Iowa (just graduated in 2015) and majored in Geography with a focus in GIS.

Current: 4 years as an IT Analyst and Working with Autistic Adults.

Applying to:
    Cal Poly SLO
    UIOWA
    U Oregon
    ISU
    Ball State

GRE V 157 Q 148 Writing 3.5
    I have question regarding GPA. I went to community college 9 years ago and got bad grades 2.3 GPA. Upon returning to school I improved my GPA my overall is a 2.7 because of the transferred credits and my Iowa GPA is a 2.99 for the last two years and I have a Major GPA of 3.54. I was just wondering how likely it was I can get into the schools above. I know I can get into Iowa because of my contacts with the professors but was looking to move and was hoping for some advice.

I'd apply at Cal Poly Pomona as well, great planning school.

Hi! I've been a cyburbia lurker for the past year or so. With the help of the posts and information I saw here, I was greatly aided in my graduate school selection and application process. I've nearly finished submitting all my apps and feel a great pressure off my shoulders. I'm happy to contribute to this thread

Undergrad: small liberal arts college in the Midwest and majored in something useless
    GPA: 3.4; My gpa is pretty crap but I presented alot of collegiate extracurriculars in my CV to show that I wasn't just sitting around for four years.
    GRE: 161V, 158Q, 4.5W
    Experience: Community organizing/multiple internships all throughout college and summers. Upon graduating, I transitioned into a fair housing testing job for a couple years. I also volunteer weekly and intermittently with various nonprofits I'm passionate about.

Applying to six schools with a community economic development focus:
    UIC
    UIUC
    USC
    Rutgers
    U of Michigan
    UT Austin

Quote Originally posted by hollowmuzic View post
    Hi! I've been a cyburbia lurker for the past year or so. With the help of the posts and information I saw here, I was greatly aided in my graduate school selection and application process. I've nearly finished submitting all my apps and feel a great pressure off my shoulders. I'm happy to contribute to this thread

Undergrad: small liberal arts college in the Midwest and majored in something useless
    GPA: 3.4; My gpa is pretty crap but I presented alot of collegiate extracurriculars in my CV to show that I wasn't just sitting around for four years.
    GRE: 161V, 158Q, 4.5W
    Experience: Community organizing/multiple internships all throughout college and summers. Upon graduating, I transitioned into a fair housing testing job for a couple years. I also volunteer weekly and intermittently with various nonprofits I'm passionate about.

Applying to six schools with a community economic development focus:
    UIC
    UIUC
    USC
    Rutgers
    U of Michigan
    UT Austin
    Excuse my bias lol, but UCLA and Cal should be considered if you're interested in community-related/social equity issues (econ. development and housing).

anybody know when UT-Austin typically notifies people?

Quote Originally posted by gopackgo555 View post
    anybody know when UT-Austin typically notifies people?
    I took a quick look at gradcafe, and it looks like they've notified applicants mid-February in the past. We've got a couple more weeks!

Quote Originally posted by lmacniven View post
    Excuse my bias lol, but UCLA and Cal should be considered if you're interested in community-related/social equity issues (econ. development and housing).
    Haha, I've definitely considered them. Berkeley is my dream school, but I knew there's no way I'm going to get in with my GPA and lack of experience. I didn't want to waste my time and money. As for UCLA, I only wanted to apply to one school in LA (again, didn't want to waste money and time). I chose to apply to USC over UCLA because it looked like USC has a higher chance of giving me $$$ (dean's merit, diversity leader scholarships, and whatnot). I have a friend who went to UCLA for his master's and is now 100k in debt... so nope. Just nope.

Quote Originally posted by hollowmuzic View post
    I took a quick look at gradcafe, and it looks like they've notified applicants mid-February in the past. We've got a couple more weeks!
    I called and they said end of February at the ABSOLUTE latest, so yeah soon!

Also called UC-Berkeley and they said all decisions will hopefully be released on Friday and if not at the beginning of next week. Way sooner than I thought!

Registered
    Sep 2014

Berkeley

I've been agonizing over this all day- where are the Berkeley decisions?? Has anyone gotten one? Guess we could be waiting through the weekend.

I'm new to this forum so I'll add some info. I've applied to masters programs at:
    UC Berkeley
    NYU
    Pratt Institute
    Hunter College
    Penn
    University of Cincinnati.

Looking for a housing/community development concentration, focus on social justice, and opportunities for practical skills training. So far I've been accepted to Cincinnati. I'm eagerly awaiting the rest of the decisions and hope we can share updates on here! Good luck to all.

Registered
    Sep 2015

Berkeley Admit

Hey all, I just got an email from DCRP at Berkeley. I got in!! My first acceptance of the cycle so I'm so relieved that I have at least one school that will take me on.

Undergrad: Public (Geography and Urban Studies major)
    GPA: 3.85
    GRE: 163V, 167Q, 5.5AW (2nd attempt)
    Work experience: 2 years in urban policy, 1 year in community organization, and a bunch of research in geography/planning from undergrad

Still waiting: MIT, Harvard, UCLA, Columbia. I'm still leaning towards the East Coast at the moment. If I don't get in, Cal would be amazing!

Good luck everyone!

awesome congrats! I was wondering if they would be sending out emails after 5. I'm still waiting to hear back as well although I expect to get rejected lol. They said that hopefully all decisions come out today but if not then the very beginning of next week

Registered
    Sep 2015
    awesome congrats! I was wondering if they would be sending out emails after 5. I'm still waiting to hear back as well although I expect to get rejected lol. They said that hopefully all decisions come out today but if not then the very beginning of next week
    Gopackgo55, r u from Geography UCLA? I know some ppl there.. HL and ES are the visiting professors in my uni. I am from Jakarta, Indonesia, btw.

Registered
    Feb 2016

Berkeley PhD?

Hey all, I have been seeing on gradcafe that Berkeley has started to send out PhD acceptances. I had an interview with my POI two weeks ago and I thought it went well but still no word back. For those of you who already got in, how did they let you know? Was it an email from the POI or a form email? I am getting nervous...

Registered
    May 2006
    Quote Originally posted by mcnairmd17 View post
    I've been agonizing over this all day- where are the Berkeley decisions?? Has anyone gotten one? Guess we could be waiting through the weekend.

I'm new to this forum so I'll add some info. I've applied to masters programs at:
    UC Berkeley
    NYU
    Pratt Institute
    Hunter College
    Penn
    University of Cincinnati.

Looking for a housing/community development concentration, focus on social justice, and opportunities for practical skills training. So far I've been accepted to Cincinnati. I'm eagerly awaiting the rest of the decisions and hope we can share updates on here! Good luck to all.

Seems like Pratt is the place for you. Don't bother with NYU, very transport focused. Unless you have a perfect (3.9+) GPA, outstanding extra-curriculars and can pat your head while rubbing your tummy on a unicycle while balancing 3 spinning basketballs on your head while hoola hooping 6 flamin hoola hoops, you can count Penn out.

Hunter might be a good fit maybe, but if the social justice, community planning is what your into, Pratt is the place to be.

Registered
    Sep 2015
    I received the email just after 9 so 6pm PST. I guess 400 or so emails are a lot to send out in one day haha

Positive thoughts! Hoping for good news tomorrow.

Quote Originally posted by mm91 View post
    Gopackgo55, r u from Geography UCLA? I know some ppl there.. HL and ES are the visiting professors in my uni. I am from Jakarta, Indonesia, btw.
    Yeah I just graduated from there this past year! Lietner's classes are basically all about Jakarta haha. I've been in 2 of them, one during my first quarter and one during my last. Like her a lot

Registered
    Sep 2015
    Yeah I just graduated from there this past year! Lietner's classes are basically all about Jakarta haha. I've been in 2 of them, one during my first quarter and one during my last. Like her a lot
    Lol, she is lovely! What schools do you apply for?

Hi guys! I am new to this forum.
    I have already applied for 4 schools in January. But, I am not confident those schools would admit me. Do you guys know which schools still accept application or still consider late application?

Quote Originally posted by mm91 View post
    Hi guys! I am new to this forum.
    I have already applied for 4 schools in January. But, I am not confident those schools would admit me. Do you guys know which schools still accept application or still consider late application?
    only program that I know that is still accepting apps is Cal State Northridge (deadline: March).

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 4 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 588
    Last post: 05 Apr 2017, 1:38 AM
  2. Replies: 125
    Last post: 12 Aug 2015, 9:45 PM
  3. Replies: 135
    Last post: 07 Oct 2014, 2:33 AM
  4. Replies: 708
    Last post: 26 Jul 2011, 6:59 PM
  5. Replies: 1966