Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Aviation and GIS

Registered
    Dec 2015

Aviation and GIS

Hello all,

I am an Aviation professional and looking to get my second degree in GIS. I have over twenty years of aviation experience and am desiring something new and challenging so I am trying to blend my aviation background with a GIS degree. Does anyone have any experience with something like that? Ideally I'd like to be doing some GIS collection work from an airborne platform. Any information provided will greatly appreciated. Also maybe any internships that would fit into this area? Thank you.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I can see GIS would be helpful with aviation, but I don't have much to offer. I believe our local airport uses it to determine building heights for the encroachment zones. I'm not sure what else they might use it for.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    I can see GIS would be helpful with aviation, but I don't have much to offer. I believe our local airport uses it to determine building heights for the encroachment zones. I'm not sure what else they might use it for.
    Well I know for a fact that GIS is used in aviation for environmental work like photogrammetry for farmland, mines, and oil fields. You are correct regarding GIS for airports. Thanks for your input dvdneal.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    a good Indiana example would be modelling the Tall Structures Act requirements - http://www.in.gov/indot/files/Aviation_Form101_2012.pdf

for zoning maps -
    Approach Zone: The Approach Zones of the Airport Overlay (APO) District include the:
    1. Utility Runway Visual Approach Zone;
    2. Utility Runway Non-precision Instrument Approach Zone;
    3. Runway Larger than Utility Visual Approach Zone;
    4. Runway Larger than Utility with a Visibility Minimum Greater than Three-fourths Mile, Non-precision
    Instrument Approach Zone;
    5. Runway Larger than Utility with a Visibility Minimum as Low as Three-fourths Mile, Non-precision
    Instrument Approach Zone; and
    6. Precision Instrument Runway Approach Zone.

Registered
    Dec 2015
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    a good Indiana example would be modelling the Tall Structures Act requirements - http://www.in.gov/indot/files/Aviation_Form101_2012.pdf

for zoning maps -
    Approach Zone: The Approach Zones of the Airport Overlay (APO) District include the:
    1. Utility Runway Visual Approach Zone;
    2. Utility Runway Non-precision Instrument Approach Zone;
    3. Runway Larger than Utility Visual Approach Zone;
    4. Runway Larger than Utility with a Visibility Minimum Greater than Three-fourths Mile, Non-precision
    Instrument Approach Zone;
    5. Runway Larger than Utility with a Visibility Minimum as Low as Three-fourths Mile, Non-precision
    Instrument Approach Zone; and
    6. Precision Instrument Runway Approach Zone.
    Thanks JNA.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. University of Oklahoma GIS
    Student Commons
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 19 Jan 2016, 2:31 PM
  2. Aviation planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 28 Apr 2010, 5:03 PM
  3. Aviation Planner