Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Fire code

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2008

Fire code

Hi guys, just wondering how the fire code (in layman's terms!) deals with buildings that are more than 200' long? We keep running into the fire code and requiring a max distance of 200' from a driveway in order to be approved. What do people do with large buildings?

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Fire lane around the building? At least that's what I've seen before to get coverage within 200'.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Dec 2008
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Fire lane around the building? At least that's what I've seen before to get coverage within 200'.
    If the building is 500' wide the middle wouldn't be within 200'

Registered
    Jan 2009
    If I see the fire chief anytime soon I'll ask how we handled ours. We have a Philips Lighting factory that is easily more than 500' wide in all directions. It has a fire lane around the whole building, but I'm not sure how they handled things like extra risers, fire rated walls, etc. to make it work. Obviously they have extra suppression equipment because of the glass furnace, but I don't know how the codes work on that.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    You've got fire suppression, fire rated wall assembly, a whole host of thing to do to the internal aspects of the building. Fire lane, additional hydrants on the exterior, and the 200ft is the lay of the hose, at least in my experience. (Edited to add - I mean, the 200' is usually only dealing with the external aspect of the building, it's not the lay of the hose across the building).
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    The 200' is about the hose. You start to lose water pressure after that. The intent of the code is to allow a team to get the hose wherever it's needed, but there has to be other ways than the truck outside. Anything multi story will usually have some kind of riser on the other floors to provide water. I'm no fire code expert, but maybe extra risers will work.

Registered
    Aug 2008
    Off the top of my head I thought no part of the building was to be more than 150' from outside access by fire equipment. Usually what you do with building layout to meet those kinds of limits is cut the building into pieces separated by 2-hr walls.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 8
    Last post: 07 Nov 2014, 3:10 PM
  2. Fire
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 12
    Last post: 20 Sep 2013, 3:09 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 Oct 2008, 4:42 AM
  4. Fire Fox?
    Friday Afternoon Club