Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: NEPA documentation question

Registered
    Aug 2005

NEPA documentation question

I am currently working on a project in NY that requires NEPA compliance. The project will occur on a property in a city but on land owned by the County Agricultural Society. We are working with a Federal partner and they have asked for documentation of NEPA compliance. The project will be funded by federal sources. The project meets the requirements for at Categorical Exclusion.

What agency should provide the NEPA documentation? Who should write the letter and sign? The County? The City? The State DEC?

When I worked for a city the city did their own environmental reviews and provided documentation for NEPA.
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I would say anyone can provide something to explain the categorical exclusion. Then the feds can agree or not. When in doubt, I go for the highest agency on the chain so in this case it sounds like state.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    booo! not the answer i wanted.

Thanks for your input!
    In the end, we will remember not the words of our enemies, but the silence of our friends. -Martin Luther King Jr.

Registered
    May 2002
    If the project is in the city I would think they would be responsible entity and have to provide documentation to substaniate the categorical exclusion.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2008
    Quote Originally posted by dandy_warhol View post
    I am currently working on a project in NY that requires NEPA compliance. The project will occur on a property in a city but on land owned by the County Agricultural Society. We are working with a Federal partner and they have asked for documentation of NEPA compliance. The project will be funded by federal sources. The project meets the requirements for at Categorical Exclusion.

What agency should provide the NEPA documentation? Who should write the letter and sign? The County? The City? The State DEC?

When I worked for a city the city did their own environmental reviews and provided documentation for NEPA.
    The project sponsor should submit the request.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Federal funding and NEPA
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 13 May 2011, 5:24 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 30 Nov 2010, 6:39 PM
  3. Do you do NEPA planning?
    Environmental Planning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 11 Mar 2010, 12:11 PM