Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: AICP Exam - May 2016

Registered
    Sep 2011

AICP Exam - May 2016

Hello All,
    I decided to take the AICP in May and wanted to know if you had any advice on successful studying techniques. Did you create a calendar to focus your areas of study? Did you find that a study group helped? What was your primary source of information?

I understand that many have different methods, but I wanted to get a feel for what worked for others. I am not very good at multiple choice exams (especially those that try to trick you), so any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

Registered
    Jun 2005
    I just took the test this past November, so here goes:

There are many threads on this, but to summarize, I would recommend you get your hands on one of the chapter study guides. The PA chapter puts out some good material that is available online. The PlanningPrep tests are very helpful. Take them all. I tested once per week for twelve weeks before taking the real exam. There are several useful AICP-themed webinars available on YouTube. Use the flash cards on StudyShack. Know the key takeaways of all of the landmark law cases... Euclid, Nolan, Dolan, Penn Station, Kelo, etc. Know the basics of planmaking, site plan review, visioning, working with the community, working with Census data, etc. The test is very broad, but not terribly deep IMO. 60-80 hours of studying should be plenty. I put in about 90 hours, but I probably didn't need to. Good luck.

Registered
    Sep 2011
    Thanks for the tips and web resources. I greatly appreciate it.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I had flash cards on my ipod that I would flip through and read. Mostly they would remind me things like what a legal case was about, but I also stopped to think about the case a little. If I couldn't remember much about the topic I would make a mental note to go study that later.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Sep 2011
    I started using the Cram app which works well. I've also started using Study Stack. It seems like many previous exam-takers have done most of the work.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. AICP Exam Prep- November 2014 Exam
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 34
    Last post: 20 Nov 2015, 12:19 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 19 May 2015, 9:45 AM
  3. AICP exam 2013
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 68
    Last post: 10 Nov 2014, 9:25 AM