Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Code enforcement stories

Code enforcement stories

I just ran across an old newspaper article that took me back to the good old days when I was the most hated man in Grant County. http://www.kypost.com/news/1997/zoning102997.html

I think those people STILL have their ad hoc trailer park, most of them were flood salvage too.

Anyone have any good code enforcement stories?
    In my life, I have met men both good, and evil. I defend my self against them all...

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    I've got a ton of newspaper articles -- and editorials -- dating back from when I had sign code administration duties as a planner in Las Cruces, New Mexico. I was tempted to hang a picture of Stalin in my office, to jokingly validate the belief that I was a communist.

Now, in small town Florida, I'm the planning director, parks director ... and code enforcement chief. There's a house in the bad part of town (a six block area) with 12 cars in the front yard. I'm not looking forward to eventualy dealing with it.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Jun 2006

12 cars in front yard

other than visual, what is the objection to cars on unpaved private property?
    is it necessary to prove pollutants are leaking from the cars?

In Berkley? No. Just make findings of conspicuious consumption and bourgeois property maintenance.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    In South Carolina, I think that a residential property was not allowed to have more than one or two unregistered vehicles stored at any time. Since SC has a car tax, most people didn't want to pay the $45 tax on their junk cars, so enforcement was pretty simple. Well, as long as you weren't greeted by the property owner with a shot gun.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Re: 12 cars in front yard

Originally posted by cypost
    other than visual, what is the objection to cars on unpaved private property?
    is it necessary to prove pollutants are leaking from the cars?
    Because it's the equivalent of a junkyard -- a heavy industrial use -- in a residential zoning district.

I'd imagine that in the People's Republic, though, storage of junk vehicles on residential property is permitted if it's an integral part of the property owner's culture (have to be tolerant, after all); if homeless people are living in them (affordable accessory dwelling units); or if the cars are Volvos, Saabs or VW Bugs (with "Visualize World Peace," "Love Your Mother," "Blessed Be," "Slow Thinkers Keep Right," "Free Mumia," "Towanda!" and "Vote Green" bumper stickers, of course) .

Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Code enforcement vs. planning
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 May 2007, 5:53 PM
  2. Code enforcement
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 4
    Last post: 02 Jun 2005, 8:37 AM
  3. Replies: 9
    Last post: 04 Jan 2005, 9:14 AM