Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: R Programming in Your Work

R Programming in Your Work

I just started learning R programming, and I was wondering if anyone here uses R programming (for statistical computing and graphics creation) as an urban planner. If so, what kind of work do you with R?

Registered
    Jun 2004
    I wasn't familiar with R programming until now as result of your inquiry. I can't speak about it specifically, but I do know VBA, python, and fortran. I think any programming language helps you with problem solving and can make you more effective and efficient. Also, they look good on a resume.

Quote Originally posted by Big Owl View post
    I wasn't familiar with R programming until now as result of your inquiry. I can't speak about it specifically, but I do know VBA, python, and fortran. I think any programming language helps you with problem solving and can make you more effective and efficient. Also, they look good on a resume.
    Thanks for your response! I think I stumbled upon R when I was looking for technical skills I might need to acquire if I wanted to do urban planning research. Python in combination with GIS was also recommended by a few planners on the web. Do you use VBA, python, and/or fortran in your work?

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by hollowmuzic View post
    Thanks for your response! I think I stumbled upon R when I was looking for technical skills I might need to acquire if I wanted to do urban planning research. Python in combination with GIS was also recommended by a few planners on the web. Do you use VBA, python, and/or fortran in your work?
    I've never used fortran outside of classroom but it taught me the basic principles of programming. I use vba and python occasionally to automate redundant task so that I can be more efficient with my time.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Transportation planning vs computer programming
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 01 Oct 2013, 2:21 PM
  2. Ideas for APA section programming
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Feb 2011, 12:44 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 17 Aug 2010, 4:06 PM