Registered
    Jun 2003

States signature food discussion

Moderator note:
    Maister: split from RTDNTOTO

Registered
    Jun 2004
    Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    My first thought was that I didn't think that whoever came up with this didn't try very hard but... evidently it was based on some sort of poll by residents of each state. Also, I missed the bunny ears the first time I looked at it.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by Big Owl View post
    My first thought was that I didn't think that whoever came up with this didn't try very hard but... evidently it was based on some sort of poll by residents of each state. Also, I missed the bunny ears the first time I looked at it.
    In looking at it again, I have a question about Bourbon. How would you describe the difference between Bourbon, Irish Whisky, and Scotch?
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    In looking at it again, I have a question about Bourbon. How would you describe the difference between Bourbon, Irish Whisky, and Scotch?
    If you've consumed all three (not at the same time) at some point in your life, and come away with a reaction other than ewww or yuck, that's an easy answer.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Okay Ursus, what's "fry sauce"?
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Jun 2011
    What is "New Haven style pizza"?

I've been watching the original run of the X-Files the last 2 weeks or so. I'm not scared of many things, but for whatever reason, aliens (the gray skinny ones with big heads) freak me out BAD. I was watching an episode last night with many aliens in it and was not doing too well with it. At some point a train must have pulled up on the tracks way back behind my house. I didn't notice it till right around the time I went to bed. The idle sound of the engine was messing with me and I was pretty paranoid about it. Damn train. They never idle there either.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Bubba View post
    If you've consumed all three (not at the same time) at some point in your life, and come away with a reaction other than ewww or yuck, that's an easy answer.
    I have and I find all three quite enjoyable.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by AG74683 View post
    What is "New Haven style pizza"?
    Relatively thin crust, chewy texture, yet slightly charred, usually a "white" pizza (no tomato sauce), no melted cheese over the entire thing, cooked in very hot coal fired oven. Similar to a "pizza margherita" that you can find at a lot of places but often with clams and oregano as the main toppings.
    "Where free unions and collective bargaining are forbidden, freedom is lost." - 1980 Republican presidential candidate Ronald Reagan

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    Relatively thin crust, chewy texture, yet slightly charred, usually a "white" pizza (no tomato sauce), no melted cheese over the entire thing, cooked in very hot coal fired oven. Similar to a "pizza margherita" that you can find at a lot of places but often with clams and oregano as the main toppings.
    That does not sound appealing.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    That does not sound appealing.
    Oh they are great. There are a couple places near me that sell similar pizzas and now I want one for lunch.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Since when is Alabama a BBQ place and Missouri with toasted rav? I would think they would be BBQ heaven with St Louis and KC.

I think a lot of people confuse Kansas City with Kansas, but we like to take whatever good association we can. Actual food of Kansas is more like steak.

Should we place a difference between Oregon beer and Wisconsin beer?
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Coney dogs more 'signature' than pasties? Coney dogs are more of a southern Mich. thing (particularly Detroit) whereas pasties are more of a northern Mich thing. Guess it shouldn't be surprising the UP gets overlooked and outvoted once again.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Coney dogs more 'signature' than pasties? Coney dogs are more of a southern Mich. thing (particularly Detroit) whereas pasties are more of a northern Mich thing. Guess it shouldn't be surprising the UP gets overlooked and outvoted once again.
    This is why the UP should be recognized as it's own state for things.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    I'm pretty meh on fried chicken for Georgia, but I can't think of something else right now - maybe that'll change after I decide what to have for lunch.
    I found you a new motto from a sign hanging on their wall…"Drink coffee: do stupid things faster and with more energy"

Registered
    Feb 2004
    I'm pretty meh on fried chicken for Georgia, but I can't think of something else right now - maybe that'll change after I decide what to have for lunch.
    Peaches! Hello?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Maister View post
    Peaches! Hello?
    Brain cramp, plus I actually can't stand the taste of them. I am shame.

Registered
    May 2006
    NEW YORK BAGELS REPRESENT!

Nothing like a warm Poppy Seed from Bagelsmith. RIP H&H Bagel.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Okay Ursus, what's "fry sauce"?
    Yeah, what is that? I've never heard of it.

I just noticed FL's signature food is "Groper Sandwiches" What the hell is that?

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Going by all the roadside stands I recall seeing on trips through Georgia, my vote would have been for boiled peanuts.

Registered
    Aug 2005
    Going by all the roadside stands I recall seeing on trips through Georgia, my vote would have been for boiled peanuts.
    I'd go for that over peaches...so would Jimmy Carter.

Registered
    Jul 2003
    Blog entries
    Montana does have the Testicle Festival http://www.vice.com/read/having-a-ba...e-festival-999

But other than ranchers collecting them in a bucket during calfing, it is not like Montanans are scarfing these thing down. They are only rarely served in restaurants. They are not sold in stores.

And Mississippi and crawfish? I lived in the state for a number of years and don't think I ever even saw crawfish served or available. Louisiana is crawfish. More so than gumbo, which is served in Mississippi.
    "I am very good at reading women, but I get into trouble for using the Braille method."

~ Otterpop ~

Registered
    Mar 2005
    NY is regional:

Buffalo -- wings
    Utica -- Utica greens (escarole, parm, pepperchinis, bread crumbs, pan fried -- one of my favorites)
    Chicken riggies (rigatoni with a mix of white and red sauce -- super yum!)
    Central NY -- Half moon cookies (called black and whites elsewhere)
    Western NY -- beef on wek (beef. on a roll. big grains of salt.)
    NYC -- bagels, yes

All of NYS -- NY-style pizza
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Jan 2006
    Stupid loose meat sandwich - - a sloppy joe for those too lazy, cheap or dumb to make a real one.

In Indiana, the tenderloin would be fried, the size of a hubcap and between two really inadequate buns. For Kentucky, food-wise, I would say a hot brown. For Mississippi, I agree with Otterpop about crawfish. They tend to be a bit seasonal, and that's it. Better choices would be red beans and rice or gumbo.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Bourbon is food?

People here in SW PA consider a Primanti sandwich to be the state food. A sandwich of thick-sliced Italian bread with meat, fries and coleslaw with a vinaigrette dressing.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 48
    Last post: 16 Jul 2012, 2:19 PM
  2. Replies: 17
    Last post: 21 Mar 2012, 5:47 PM
  3. Replies: 1
    Last post: 10 Jun 2011, 10:34 AM
  4. Replies: 57
    Last post: 18 Dec 2009, 10:41 PM