Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Houses not built in compliance with zoning permits - What now?

Registered
    Jan 2016

Houses not built in compliance with zoning permits - What now?

What is everyone's procedure for projects that are incomplete in accordance with the accompanying zoning permit?

Currently, our municipality is dealing with two Habitat homes that have been built and transferred before the contractor built a sidewalk or parking pad that were both proposed and approved in the site plan that he submitted. Just this morning, he came back to us with a new Habitat proposal. I would like to have some corrective action in place for the previous homes before I issue a permit to this contractor to start new work.

What recourse do I have moving forward? Can I require him to complete the other work before I issue a new permit?

Thanks!

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I don't know that you can actually require the contractor to do anything, you can always right up the homes as incomplete, but then there are questions about any certificate of occupancy you may have issued or signing off that the permit is complete. I would try to bully the contractor and just tell him he needs to do that before we start the next permits. Sometimes you can get them to do it with no big mess. If he pushes back though, you don't have much support. Maybe talk to the people at habitat and mention there has been a mistake and you need sidewalk built. If the properties are close enough together maybe require the sidewalk for all the lots at one time with the new permit.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    I don't know that you can actually require the contractor to do anything, you can always right up the homes as incomplete, but then there are questions about any certificate of occupancy you may have issued or signing off that the permit is complete. I would try to bully the contractor and just tell him he needs to do that before we start the next permits. Sometimes you can get them to do it with no big mess. If he pushes back though, you don't have much support. Maybe talk to the people at habitat and mention there has been a mistake and you need sidewalk built. If the properties are close enough together maybe require the sidewalk for all the lots at one time with the new permit.
    I agree. I would hold up the C of O until the work is completed in accordance with what was approved.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by michaelskis View post
    I agree. I would hold up the C of O until the work is completed in accordance with what was approved.
    Yup, agreed. You don't finish what you were approved on your permit, you don't get a Certificate of Occupancy. It's a great tool for the CEO really.
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 25 Feb 2011, 4:05 PM
  2. Replies: 9
    Last post: 26 Jun 2009, 11:34 AM
  3. Replies: 4
    Last post: 09 Apr 2009, 6:03 PM
  4. houses built around houses
    Design, Space, and Place
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 06 Jan 2004, 11:07 AM