Urban planning community | #theplannerlife
+ Reply to thread

Thread: How do you as a Planner use your Future Land Use Plan and/or Comprehensive Plan?

Registered
    Aug 2004

How do you as a Planner use your Future Land Use Plan and/or Comprehensive Plan?

We're doing some training on our Comprehensive Plan, which contains a Future Land Use Plan, aka FLUP, (one element of many). We will be presenting information about Long Range Planning, Comprehensive Plan elements, potential updates, and so forth. The training is partly for the Planning & Zoning Commission (annual training as a Board) and also for some new staff members to get a chance to dive into the Comp Plan.

My piece will be on how Planners use the information in the Comp Plan, and specifically the Future Land Use Plan (highlighting but not focusing on the myriad other elements). I thought I'd explain how the FLUP tells us what the community desires in a certain area, what criteria we look at in a case (specifically zoning) to see if it meets that view, and what we mean by "it complies with/does not comply with the Comp Plan/FLUP for this area". I want to tell them where the Comp Plan gives us guidance, and where the Plan has some holes/needs updating.

How do you use your plan? What do you want your plan to tell you? What areas/elements of a Comp Plan are the most important to your work as a Planner, and what parts are more important to other departments?
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I like to point out, at least for some plans, the guy drawing the map used a wide brush stroke. Just because the whole area is listed as LDR, doesn't mean 100% should be LDR. Maybe an occasional change to commercial or medium/high density is okay.

Growth elements tied with utility elements have always been important to me. That tells me where we actually want to grow sooner rather than randomly growing and it tells me we have utilities.

For faster growing communities I think transportation is also a big one to stay on top of. My last city had a future freeway which now exists, and has a future planned parkway thing, but that's still a dream. You have to make sure to handle the new traffic and the future new traffic.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Aug 2004
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    I like to point out, at least for some plans, the guy drawing the map used a wide brush stroke. Just because the whole area is listed as LDR, doesn't mean 100% should be LDR. Maybe an occasional change to commercial or medium/high density is okay.

*snip*

For faster growing communities I think transportation is also a big one to stay on top of. My last city had a future freeway which now exists, and has a future planned parkway thing, but that's still a dream. You have to make sure to handle the new traffic and the future new traffic.
    How do you address a Futue Land Use Plan (FLUP) that the Planning Dept. uses in application review, but isn't used by other departments? Other departments update their plans more on trends rather than directing future growth, and can create conflict?
    "We do not need any other Tutankhamun's tomb with all its treasures. We need context. We need understanding. We need knowledge of historical events to tie them together. We don't know much. Of course we know a lot, but it is context that's missing, not treasures." - Werner Herzog, in Archaeology, March/April 2011

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    How we should use it and how we do use it are different things.

We should be using it as a blueprint for the future of the City. Currently, it gets changed so frequently without any real good reason, that I question the intent of having it. However, one council member has selected land uses that are absolute. Don't think of requesting a change and mixed use does not mean pick a use, it means at least XX percentage needs to be nonresidential.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    We use it daily and the land uses shown provide for some creativity (as an example, residential specifically states criteria for local commercial/office etc.) The transportation element isn't too detailed because a transportation plan is better for the details, but neither plan competes with the other. If there are instances where a more narrow-focused plan is at odds with the Comp Plan, we've updated for consistency.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Have a line on both the Rezoning & Subdivision Staff Field Reports that state what the "FLUM" shows.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 11
    Last post: 30 Mar 2016, 9:55 AM
  2. Replies: 15
    Last post: 27 Jan 2011, 3:50 PM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Aug 2003, 8:53 AM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 29 Jun 2001, 10:58 AM
  5. Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Jun 2001, 10:29 AM