Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Best laptop for urban planning student/career

Registered
    Mar 2016

Best laptop for urban planning student/career

My Macbook recently broke and I deciding on what laptop to get next. Since Macbook isn't really compatible with most Urban Planning software I am probably going to buy a PC. My first option was probably a Surface Book or a Surface Pro 4. Does anyone have any recommendation?

Registered
    Jul 2007

New Laptop

Macbook Pro with Windows 7 in Parallels

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Jul 2010
    If you think you'll be doing some heavy GIS analysis then go for something with a solid CPU. If you think you'll be doing heavy graphical work (Adobe) then you'll want as much RAM as you can afford. A solid state hard drive is a nice thing to have.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Apr 2009
    I was just at the APA Conference in Phoenix and took a GIS class with ESRI. They were running Dell Precision M4800s, for what it's worth.

But - wouldn't your school or future employer have a computer for you? Are you sure it's worth the investment on your own?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2015
    There is no "best" laptop. You are limited by price, size, battery life, warranty/quality etc... The best laptop may be a 12 pound desktop replacement, do you really want to spend $4,000 on that?

Figure out your budget. Figure out how big a laptop do you want. It sounds like you want one that has a touch screen. Then try to figure out which one offers the best specifications at your price point.

One of the best places for laptop guidance is a forum called notebookreview. They have people that follow technology trends, and sometimes will point out rebates/sales.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 29 Oct 2010, 4:48 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 19 Jan 2009, 11:06 AM
  3. Replies: 2
    Last post: 18 Jan 2009, 10:49 PM
  4. Replies: 5
    Last post: 13 Mar 2008, 5:05 PM
  5. Replies: 8
    Last post: 15 Nov 2006, 1:00 PM