Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Micro loans for economic development

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005

Micro loans for economic development

Do you run the micro loan program for your community? How's it going? What is the make up of the reviewing committee?

Thanks!

moderator in moderation Suburb Repairman's avatar
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    I don't know any that are municipal-run... most are run through a Community Development Financial Institution (CDFI) nonprofit. In my region, the highest functioning one of these is PeopleFund. It may not be true micro loans like you are thinking about though, as they'll do almost any size. But their programs & tools are pretty much a book of best practices.

"Oh, that is all well and good, but, voice or no voice, the people can always be brought to the bidding of the leaders. That is easy. All you have to do is tell them they are being attacked and denounce the pacifists for lack of patriotism and exposing the country to danger. It works the same way in any country."

- Herman Göring at the Nuremburg trials (thoughts on democracy)

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Only the larger cities in NH have the budget to do any kind of "lending." Otherwise, it is regional economic development entities (such as redc.com) that do lending for econ dev projects in NH.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Aug 2002
    I don't run a program, but I'm aware of micro loan programs operated by counties (technically, by a county industrial development agency or local development corporation). The loan committees are usually made up of county economic development staff plus professionals with small business or commercial lending experience.

Registered
    Apr 2006
    I sit on a board of a CDE that does loans between $5k-$50k. The CDE is also a CDFI so it has multiple loan pools from local banks and an CDBG tranche from a community.

Loan review committee is a few board members and some local bankers. (The board members are also bankers so its entirely comprised of bankers.)
    "You merely adopted the dark. I was born in it,..." -Bane

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Quote Originally posted by Mud Princess View post
    I don't run a program, but I'm aware of micro loan programs operated by counties (technically, by a county industrial development agency or local development corporation). The loan committees are usually made up of county economic development staff plus professionals with small business or commercial lending experience.
    This is what we have in our county. I don't work in that area of our office but from what I understand our micro-loan program is run through our office's Business Finance Committee and Economic Development Corporation (which are legally separate entities) in conjunction with a non-profit agency and our loan committee is made up of the same people who are on our SBA 504 loan committee.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Aug 2001
    It has been many years, but I developed and administered one. What we tended to see were downtown retail startups or food business startups. The committee was made up of three board members, one of whom actually had some business financial experience.
    Anyone want to adopt a dog?

Registered
    Apr 2004
    Blog entries
    Im on the loan committee for the local council of governments, and I am the only municipally-employed member. The rest seem to be bankers and commercial lenders, etc.

We offer small reimbursable grants to the local business community, but lack the staff training or capacity to run a full-tilt loan program.
    You get all squeezed up inside/Like the days were carved in stone/You get all wired up inside/And it's bad to be alone

You can go out, you can take a ride/And when you get out on your own/You get all smoothed out inside/And it's good to be alone
    -Peart

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 3
    Last post: 17 Jun 2013, 11:50 PM
  2. Community development loans
    Economic and Community Development
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 27 Jan 2011, 2:42 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 22 Feb 2010, 9:47 AM
  4. Replies: 0