Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Census data for unincorporated areas

Registered
    Feb 2005

Census data for unincorporated areas

Iíve asked two people this question but got the answer I donít want, so I thought Iíd ask here just to see if anyone has the magic answer I am seeking. If one is trying to pull Census data from American Fact Finder for only the unincorporated areas of a county, do you really have to pull the data for the entire county, and then subtract out the data for the incorporated cities? For example, if I want to know the number of residents that live in the unincorporated areas of the county only. Do I really have to find the number of residents in the entire county, and then subtract out the number of residents in each city? Thereís no predefined geographical area for only ďunincorporatedĒ county?

Registered
    Dec 2001

Census data for unincorporated areas

You know, I swear the last I looked at one of the excel sheets available for download, it included all of the info you're needing. An easy excel formula could get you the info fairly quickly. I'll check in the morning on what info I've downloaded and where I got it from, hopefully it wasn't a regional source.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    May 2002
    I just spent all day Tuesday with a lady from the Census doing training. I don't know the answer right now but I will reach out to her in the morning and try to get you some direction.
    He's a planner, he's a dreamer, he's a sordid little schemer,
    Seems to think that money grows on trees . . .

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    My suggestion

American Fact Finder
    Advanced Search
    Geographies
    switch selection dot to All geographic types
    select under state -040
    place/remainder - 070

An Indiana example
    Click image for larger version

Name:	census screen.jpg
Views:	6
Size:	35.5 KB
ID:	5567

Registered
    Mar 2005
    What about looking at the data at the Block Group level? Then you just pull the Block Groups of the unincorporated and hit SUM on excel. Perhaps I'm oversimplifying?
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Feb 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero View post
    You know, I swear the last I looked at one of the excel sheets available for download, it included all of the info you're needing. An easy excel formula could get you the info fairly quickly. I'll check in the morning on what info I've downloaded and where I got it from, hopefully it wasn't a regional source.
    Quote Originally posted by MD Planner View post
    I just spent all day Tuesday with a lady from the Census doing training. I don't know the answer right now but I will reach out to her in the morning and try to get you some direction.
    Thank you both, if you find out anything potentially helpful I am very happy to investigate and see if it works!

Quote Originally posted by JNA View post
    My suggestion

American Fact Finder
    Advanced Search
    Geographies
    switch selection dot to All geographic types
    select under state -040
    place/remainder - 070

An Indiana example
    Attachment 5567
    Thank you so much for the screenshot JNA. I thought this was going to work, but it looks like I'd have to add up all of the Census Designated Places and CDP "Remainders" to get what I'm looking for. I actually tweeted the Census with my question and they tweeted back that I could add up the CDPs for the "areas" that I'm looking for, not understanding that I'm looking for ALL the unincorporated areas. Then I tweeted again to clarify and they didn't answer back, hah.

Quote Originally posted by RandomPlanner View post
    What about looking at the data at the Block Group level? Then you just pull the Block Groups of the unincorporated and hit SUM on excel. Perhaps I'm oversimplifying?
    Thanks, I could do this (after I figure out all the Block Groups I need) but I was hoping that there was a predefined "all unincorporated areas of a county" geographic area that I could select on American Fact Finder that would give me what I need. I can do an Excel addition or subtraction exercise if needed, but it seemed like "all unincorporated areas of a county" would be a geographic search used often enough that they'd have it predefined. It's looking like it's not though, darn!

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by terraplnr View post
    ...Thanks, I could do this (after I figure out all the Block Groups I need) but I was hoping that there was a predefined "all unincorporated areas of a county" geographic area that I could select on American Fact Finder that would give me what I need. I can do an Excel addition or subtraction exercise if needed, but it seemed like "all unincorporated areas of a county" would be a geographic search used often enough that they'd have it predefined. It's looking like it's not though, darn!
    I've been working with Census data forever. What makes sense to us just never seems to make sense to them.
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by terraplnr View post
    Thank you both, if you find out anything potentially helpful I am very happy to investigate and see if it works!

Thank you so much for the screenshot JNA. I thought this was going to work, but it looks like I'd have to add up all of the Census Designated Places and CDP "Remainders" to get what I'm looking for. I actually tweeted the Census with my question and they tweeted back that I could add up the CDPs for the "areas" that I'm looking for, not understanding that I'm looking for ALL the unincorporated areas. Then I tweeted again to clarify and they didn't answer back, hah.

Thanks, I could do this (after I figure out all the Block Groups I need) but I was hoping that there was a predefined "all unincorporated areas of a county" geographic area that I could select on American Fact Finder that would give me what I need. I can do an Excel addition or subtraction exercise if needed, but it seemed like "all unincorporated areas of a county" would be a geographic search used often enough that they'd have it predefined. It's looking like it's not though, darn!
    Nah, I can't get it for my area either. Dang. I just downloaded all of their data for my county and it will be all math.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Census commute data
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 17 Nov 2015, 10:14 AM
  2. Addresses in unincorporated areas
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 01 Nov 2011, 7:11 PM
  3. Property taxes in incorporated vs unincorporated areas
    Economic and Community Development