Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Commercial/industrial real estate

Commercial/industrial real estate

I work for a small town which has got a laser focus on economic development at the moment. One of the main things I am tasked with figuring out is all the information about commercial and industrial properties that are for sale of lease in or near the city including cost, land and building size and other details about existing buildings, contact info., etc. There are good websites for residential real estate information, but there doesn't seem to be the same level of free information out there for non-residential property. Local commercial real estate brokers seem reluctant to share information.

I'm trying to figure out how to get this kind of information without spending a stupid amount of time trying to piece it all together and then trying to keep it up to date. Anyone got any ideas for me? Thanks.

Registered
    Mar 2007
    Is your small town part of a larger region with a large regional chamber of commerce? If so, contact them and see if they have access to CoStar. If you are already paying for chamber membership, you should have access to the chamber's resources. It's also possible that your state or county's economic development office has access to CoStar or a similar product. If there are particular "white elephant" properties in your community that your city is working to try and get redeveloped (even if you don't own those properties) contact the broker of one of those properties and ask if they can help getting you information about other properties in the area. Do you have a DDA with any commercial brokers as members? If so, maybe your DDA director could contact them to see if they would be willing to assist.

Trying to maintain your own in-house database and keep it up to date sounds like a fool's task to me.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Our Chamber of Commerce keeps that info. I'm not sure if they use CoStar or how they do it, but the local Chamber might be an option. I agree with WSU, it's gonna be a pain to keep that database updated.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 2
    Last post: 03 Aug 2012, 6:33 PM
  2. Replies: 8
    Last post: 29 Jul 2010, 7:37 PM
  3. Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 Oct 2008, 2:09 AM
  4. Replies: 12
    Last post: 15 Feb 2006, 8:43 AM
  5. Replies: 0
    Last post: 29 Apr 1997, 3:20 PM