Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Ghost box ordinances

Registered
    Feb 2006

Ghost box ordinances

Can anyone post me to a good example of one? We have a convenience store chain that is building a new building in town and we have some concerns (based on others experiences with this particular chain) that re-purposing and re-using the site will be made difficult by them in a desire to keep out competition.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hawkeye66 View post
    Can anyone post me to a good example of one? We have a convenience store chain that is building a new building in town and we have some concerns (based on others experiences with this particular chain) that re-purposing and re-using the site will be made difficult by them in a desire to keep out competition.
    I've never heard the term 'ghost box' but I like it a lot!

Design standards would be useful -- saying this is what we want to see and this can be reused by other uses in the future. But it may be too late in the game for this project...
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Nov 2002
    I have heard tales of this sort of ordinance but I have only seen it used for cell towers.

What really needs a ghost box ordinance is pharmacies. They are worse in some ways than big box stores because they tend to be in more mixed-use areas. I saw a Walgreens in Minneapolis that was literally next door to the space they had abandoned. My guess is that either the landlord of the old space has a long term guaranteed lease from them and will just collect the checks - or Walgreens will keep paying rent voluntarily because they want to keep the competition out. So it's likely to sit empty for a long time. We have a zombie pharmacy on a major commercial roadway into downtown and it's a real eyesore and bad for the area.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Ghost Tours
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 31 Oct 2013, 2:31 PM
  2. Halloween and Ghost Pranks
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 09 Oct 2013, 3:28 PM
  3. Military ghost towns in USA
    Cities and Places