+ Reply to thread

Thread: Experimental village concept causes uproar in Utah

Registered
    Oct 2012

Experimental village concept causes uproar in Utah

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2015
    Surprise surprise, small-town residents don't want their single-family homes bulldozed. Developer should have seen this coming / found a greyfield for this project somewhere.

Registered
    Mar 2005
    So. Many. Comments...

-- From what I've quickly read in this article and others, I don't see immediately that planners of any kind have been working on this project. All credit is going to this one man ... who inherited a synthetic diamond business from his father. Hmmm.

-- I'm a big fan of preservation and a community built in the 1950s could certainly be eligible for being placed on the National Register of Historic Preservation. It's not clear the the whole community was built then, mind you, but one homeowner was quoted saying that her father designed her home in 1958. If the entire community was designed and built then, the National Register might be a start.

Of course we all know that just being on the National Register does not actually protect historic structures. The Town/ Village/ City would have to implement Codes that protect historic structures, etc, etc, etc.

-- This man has 700 patents (said another article -- http://www.heraldextra.com/news/loca...4628c01c5.html) ranging from a 3-wheeled automobile to a 'modern toliet'. I'm not sure how any of these inventions make him qualified to design a community.

-- OTOH, isn't that how some historically planned communities were created? Yes, some were planned by urban planners/ designers/ etc but some were planned by inventors, by innovative creators who saw the world differently and had grand ideas.

-- OT(other)OH, do we need to tear down an existing community to build it? There must be other usable land in Utah, in this general area even, that could be used for this experiment.

Anyway, it's an interesting article, an interesting idea, and I'll be watching to more information.
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

Registered
    Oct 2012
    The most interesting thing to me about the article was the fact people were/are protesting his purchasing of property and signing petitions trying to force him to sell his land, when he is purchasing property from those selling willingly.

Registered
    Nov 2006
    If this guy wasn't going to destroy a neighborhood in the process, I would have no problem with him creating his "village".
    If a free society cannot help the many who are poor, it cannot save the few who are rich. -- John F. Kennedy, January 20, 1961

Registered
    Mar 2007
    I like this quote:

Hall has described the project deemed NewVistas as an "experimental village" meant to challenge today's "urban sprawl" of single-family homes, which he believes are "ecological disasters" because, he said, they have created wasteful and environmentally damaging commuting habits.
    I guess Hall doesn't see the irony in tearing down and wasting the resources of a bunch of homes that are already built in favor of wasting more resources to build new.
    1 3 5
    ├┼┼╕
    2 4 6 R

Unfrozen Caveman Planner mendelman's avatar
    Registered
    May 2003
    Quote Originally posted by WSU MUP Student View post
    I guess Hall doesn't see the irony in tearing down and wasting the resources of a bunch of homes that are already built in favor of wasting more resources to build new.
    Yup.

Analogous to why I cannot fully accept LEED cert as anything but PR window dressing.
    I'm sorry. Is my bias showing?

Every day is today. Yesterday is a myth and tomorrow an illusion.

You know...for kids.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. University of Utah
    Student Commons
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 07 Nov 2012, 9:15 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 06 Aug 2007, 12:10 PM
  3. Who says Utah is a dry state?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3