Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

Thread: Identify your pooch!

Registered
    Oct 2000

Identify your pooch!

Ok, it seems to me that almost all my planner friends have dogs. So I figured that a person's pets say just as much about them as their cars. So here we go:

Our dogs, Parker and Jesse, are both pound mutts, a black lab/doberman and golden retreiver/ chow chow. both as dumb and cute as pet rocks. only much bigger and smellier.

Registered
    Aug 2001

identify your pooch

We have a 5 year old Keeshond named Wee Bear (due to his small stature for the breed), and a 3 year old Keeshond named Johnson (Get it?? Keeshond Johnson. We know the spelling is off, but when your verbalize it most people pick up on it right away...)

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    None at the moment....but my past dogs:

Molly: Actually this was my sister's dog....but I count her as mine anyway. A mutt mix of a yorkshire terrier and who knows what else. Runt of the litter...turned out to be the best behaved of all of 'em.

Trapper I & II: Black labs. Loved these dogs....unfortunately, both have passed away.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Gunner is a six year old male cross between a Golden Lab and an Akita (we think) from our local pound. He looks like a blond Akita. He is wonderful around people and a friend of mine (one prolifically posting planner on this board) has been known to visit us/ him on occasion for unabashed frolicking, the swilling of beer, and deep planning discussions. Dogs are good.

Registered
    Sep 2001

I love my dog

Our dog is a tri collie named Maya. A tri collie is not the Lassie variety - they are mostly black with a white bib and brown eyebrows. People pull over on the street to tell me what a good looking dog she is. she is the sweetest and most wonderful animal you could ever meet.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    No dog...but I have a 2 year-old hyperactive tortoiseshell cat named Pandora. Would love to have a dog, but I don't really think it's fair to the beast, living in a one-bedroom condo...

I want a labrador - black or chocolate.

NIMBY asshatterer Plus Richmond Jake's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    We have a golden retriever about 10 years old (Jesse) and a black lab puppy (Willie).

Registered
    Feb 1998
    Three of them. Millie, a Tibetan Terrier who is going deaf, inherited from my mother; Spice, a mutt runt of the litter that I would label a challenged Gordon Setter; and Little Sh*t, a small hairy thing that is so ugly/cute we couldn't resist the gift. Fortunately the climate is so dry on the High Plains that cleaning the yard is not difficult.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    We had a wire-haired fox terrier named Ted and currently have an orange tabby cat that occasionally responds to the name Caillou (pronounced KY-YOO).

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I'd love a dog -- Australian shepherd, collie, golden retriever or other large dog -- but work or travel too much. Instead, I have a hibiscus named Clarissa. Sure, it can't catch a frisbee and it doesn't chase the rabbits from my gardens, but I enjoy it anyway.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Everyone say "awwwwwww ...."

She's Del Sur's Dock of the Bay, but most of the time she's called Bailey, her namesake being a major street in Buffalo that I grew up near. Bailey is a two year old Portuguese Water Dog, with a white/black parti curly coat. She speaks with a multi-octave range of groans and voices, she laughs, she's naturally fond of children and other animals (she'll follow the lizards and frogs in the yard, but never pick them up or "hunt" them), and she's quite an empath. She's my travelling companion, muse and best friend. She's also an incredible chick magnet.

In the photo, she's seen in what should be a natural state for a Portie -- wet, after a romp at the Lake Baldwin off-leash area in Winter Park. Unlike most Porties, though, Bailey's not an enthusiastic swimmer. She'll splash on beaches and swim out in bodies of water with a gradual slope, but I can't get her to even consider the thought of jumping into my pool.

Bailey used to see other Porties all the time in Denver; here in Orlando, we haven't come across another one yet. In a month, though, Bailey may get a little Portie sister.

Some other Portie pages ...

http://www.infive.com
    http://www.pwdca.org/WaterDogAlbum/index.htm
    http://www.4mydogs.com
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Blue Tick Hound / doberman named Max and a Norwegian Elk Hound mix named Shotzie, she is getting quite old but still chases the squirels. My yard gets pretty littered even though it is quite large.

Registered
    Aug 2001

who let the dogs out?

We have tons of dogs in my neighborhood! They lay in themiddle of the road, roam the woods and ravines, and swim for hours in the lake - they are all mostly friendly huge labs and goldens with every other one being named Bear. But my favorite is Max a shaggy mutt who never barks at my kids.

We have a bitchy black cat Darmah who is not afraid of any of the big dawgs around here. She loves us so much that she too brings us presents of disembowled chipmunks, sometimes just the head.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Identify your pooch

Hello, everyone, I have been reading Cyburbia and the forums for a while , and I evenm posted a couple polemical statements on the old boards. But, because I am a dog nut, this thread inspired me to rejoin.

I have three dogs:

1. Max: a very macho, very demanding, but hilarious Rottie/Shepherd cross of some kind. He was tied up to a porch and abandoned when his previous owners walked out on their rental.

2. Scobie: a "neighborhood accident" collie/border collie/golden retriever mix. My athlete and watchdog.

3. Tasha: a pure bred basenji (does that make me a snob-but basenjis are just soooo cool). She is a plump, four year old basenji girl. They don't bark (very often) and are more intelligent than many humans.

Needless to say, my house is quite crowded!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Re: Identify your pooch

Originally posted by BKM
    3. Tasha: a pure bred basenji (does that make me a snob-but basenjis are just soooo cool). She is a plump, four year old basenji girl. They don't bark (very often) and are more intelligent than many humans.
    I don't know if a Portuguese Water Dog can outsnob a Basenji, but Bailey has been accused of having a "yuppie puppy" or "designer dog" on a few occasions. (I got a PWD because they don't shed, a trait that few other medium sized breeds share.) Considering that they were relatively common in Denver, but in Orlando I haven't seen another one, maybe those accusations had some merit. I have seen Caanan Dogs, Havaneses and Kerry Blue Terriers, though.

I've noticed that the popularity of certain dog breeds varies greatly throughout the country. In Denver, for instance, it seemed as if every other dog was a Lab or Golden. Great dogs, mind you, but it seemed as Labs were popular beauce they complemented the "outdoorsy" image so many Denverites wanted to project to the public. If it wasn't a Lab or Golden, it was the Australian Shepherd -- very popular among the patchouli crowd. In Florida, "bait" is quite popular -- lots of Yorkshire Terriers, Lhasa Apsos, Pugs, Shi-Tsus, and the like. Southern New Mexico -- Chihuahuas, Chows and American Staffordshire Terriers seemed to predominate.

Registered
    Sep 1998

My Old Dawg

Hi All:
    I don't have a dawg right now as I'm an apartment dweller but desperately miss my last critter.

My old companion was a purebread black labrador retriever. This dawg was by far the best 4 legged member of my immediate family. This jovial, outgoing and well tempered hound was the 6th puppy in a litter of 13 born on Halloween Eve way back in 1987. Around our house he was simply called CHESTER. If by some chance Chester wanted to go outside and harass the wildlife, we sometimes affectionately referred to him as "CHESTER THE MOLESTER".

Damn, I miss that dawg!

Should anyone want to read a short humorous book about how dogs can take control of their owners' lives, I highly recommend a little book titled "The Dog Rules - Damn Near everything"

Registered
    Oct 2000
    A comment on the abundance of retreivers, 75% of what is found at the pound are some sort of golden or lab, just because of that breed's propensity to roam far and wide to get some lovin'. My former planning director had a black lab that would turn up 6 miles away after heeding the siren call of someone's female german shepard or beagle.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    hadda bring back an old thread and where is everyone? I know the upper midwest is under at least a 2 ft blanket of snow!

dan wrote
    Bailey used to see other Porties all the time in Denver; here in Orlando, we haven't come across another one yet. In a month, though, Bailey may get a little Portie sister.
    Well I have to ask - would that be those cute stray dogs running amok in oakland. Those curly coats are gorgeous how did they escape the clutches of cruella deville? and did one of those porties find her own pool side room in Baileys castle?

Registered
    Dec 2001

my pups

At the ranch we've got 4..
    Baloo: a very large mutt with a heart of gold
    Lily: Pit Bull/ Lab mix- beautiful white dog
    Allegra: Named BEFORE the allergy med. came out.. she's the sweetest chow/sheltie mix
    Miss Olivia: Pure bred black standard poodle.. the real ranch dog.

Out of town at the job I've got my 2 lovely babies.. Milli-meter Chrysanthemum and Mister Milo, the two sweetest cats on earth. Milli is a fat Calico and Milo is my little Lynx Point.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries
    Uhhhh ... Bailey, could you move over?

Bailey ... c'mon, I gotta' go to bed ...

Please?

the eighty pound hound

I have an 8 year old doberman/beagle mix...this job would be a bit better if I could bring him.. but I have to make due with his picture on my computer and his annual visit on halloween when he dresses up in his ballerina outfit.

Registered
    Aug 2001

My boys

Foofy 'lil critters but great watch dogs....

Registered
    Nov 2001

My dog...

The pet store guy said it was a rare breed...

Actually she was a stray and her name is Reagan.
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Aug 2001
    I saw one of those things in my back yard this morning - didn't have a gun handy so it got away alive.

Registered
    Oct 2001

Pooches

Hey, Dan. Try to sleep wedged between two dogs. And, I wonder why I wake up with a sore back some mornings.

+ Reply to thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 ... LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Identify your wheels
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 200
    Last post: 02 Nov 2008, 12:50 PM
  2. Identify Your Epitaph
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 09 Jun 2003, 11:57 AM
  3. Identify the Starbucks #50