+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread: Identify your pooch!

Registered
    Mar 1996
    Blog entries

Re: Pooches

BKM wrote:
    Hey, Dan. Try to sleep wedged between two dogs. And, I wonder why I wake up with a sore back some mornings.
    Unfortunately, as of Saturday, Bailey's been banished from the bed when I'm in it. She's on puppy Prozac now, and I have to train her to be more "independent." On Saturday, I worked on a Habitat house for a few hours, and came home to ... well, a carpet that makes a feedlot in Greeley, Colorado seem mild by comparison. It was BAD ... and I just spent $250 a week earlier to have the carpets cleaned. She left "gifts" in several rooms, and also was thoughtful enough to employ the carpet in the same manner that humans employ Charmin.

She's left me too many "gifts" lately, and in recent days it's increased. The vet says it's separation anxiety. Some dogs bark and howl. Some eat furniture. Mine adds biomass to berber. Thus, meds for Bailey!
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Ugh.

Luckily, that only happens when Max, the roving scavenging machine, snags something even his cast iron stomach can't handle. (Either that, or food containing chicken, I think-yuck!)

Registered
    Oct 2000
    Dan, Our black lab X, Jesse, is notorious for consuming shrubs and regurgitating them in our family room. However, we found this amazing stain remover at our linoleum guy's place, I swear it is magic. We ran out a while ago, and haven't needed it since, but I can get the name of the stuff if you would like.

Our new dog drama is that we've introduced Jess to the Halti. We were very lazy dog owners and she never really got the hang of walking nicely on a leash. She's 80 lbs. I'm 115 lbs. I was the one getting walked. Short story long - it was the best $18 I've ever spent on dog paraphenalia - but so far Jessie hates it. Probably because she can't pull her usual sled dog routine with it!

Registered
    Sep 2001

Haltis

Just before Christmas we became the proud owners of Maggie, from the pound so she is 3 or 4 years old and 60 lbs of muscle. Since then either I have gotten a strange on-set of repetitive strain injury or Maggie is pulling too hard. So we got a Halti. Two months later, she only really hates it when my husband is walking with us, he refuses to use the Halti (I'm not sure why). I love it, it makes walking her so much easier. The only problem I have been having is keeping the lead from going under her front paws when we are walking but she is getting really good at untangling herself!

Registered
    Oct 2001

Why Dog Turn on Humans

This would provoke any self respecting animal. Unless it was only worn on Oscar Meyer Day.

Registered
    Mar 2002
    3 dogs

a dumb as a brick beagle named Trooper, hes the dogs dog
    a way too smart cocker mix named Oreo aka sir grump-a-lot
    and last but not least

kia bitch the queen, a rottie with a big soft hart and lots of kisses

my babies!
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Oct 2001

Praise for the HALTI

I'm amazed!

I purchased a HALTI today on a whim after reading this thread. This thing is great! We used to use the "collar of death." You know those collars with spikes facing inward. My dog could handle the discomfort with no problem. With the HALTI the dog is responding like rack and pinion steering! The dog hates the thing but I don't care.

Thanks for the recommendation KMateja and jmf.

Registered
    Oct 2000

Yay! A convert!

E.G. I'm glad you like it, our dogs also hated theirs for the first couple times, but after a week, I don't even think they know it is there, and it is just SOOOOO much nicer to walk them. I admit, since we moved to the house, we'd gotten really lazy about walking them, just because our shoulders would ache by the time we got home from the walk from them pulling. I've even been taking our more sedentary dog for runs in the morning now, because the Halti keeps her at my pace. Except for the occasional frantic lunge at a squirrel. Thank you Mr./Mrs. Halti Inventor. You've changed my life.

Registered
    Apr 2002
    Here are two of our babies. Maggie (on left) had to be put down after developing bone cancer (broke my heart). Bandit is a big lovable dummy.
    Cheers,
    UrbanRunner
    :)

Registered
    Mar 2002
    ROTTIES!!

THE absolute best dogs ive ever known.

FWIW try the "gentel leader" collar/lead things they work well to the dog cant pull becouse you have them by the head. kinda looks like a mix between a collar and a muzzle so it might worry some folks. But for my beagle i still have to use the collar with thsoe spikes on the inside-dumbass dog!

D
    "They who can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety." Ben Franklin

Remember this motto to live by: "Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, martini in the other, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming 'WOO- HOO what a ride!'"

Registered
    Aug 2001

A thread back from the undead

This was too good not to post:

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Martin, from the SPCA mostly Rhodesian Ridgeback mixed with some other stuff. He's a maniac.

Registered
    Dec 2001

newest picture

Here's my baby. He was about 4 months in this picture, he's a little over 5 months and about 42 pounds now.
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: newest picture

Originally posted by TexasPlanner
    Here's my baby. He was about 4 months in this picture, he's a little over 5 months and about 42 pounds now.
    SWEET! So tell me Tex. I was thinking about getting a Weimie, but I heard they are VERY needy and can be agressive chewers - not necessarily good for someone gone 9 hours a day. How's your boy behaving?

Registered
    Nov 2001

Re: Re: newest picture

Originally posted by bturk

SWEET! So tell me Tex. I was thinking about getting a Weimie, but I heard they are VERY needy and can be agressive chewers - not necessarily good for someone gone 9 hours a day. How's your boy behaving?
    Oh yeah, and how's the dog?
    "Dear Prudence...won't you open up your eyes? "

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Ah, Hatcher is the sweetest, most adorable creature living. At a little over five months, and after all of his "big dog teeth" have arrived I've only had to say goodbye to 3 individual socks and a shoestring. We've been crate training, so he's fully house trained and sleeps out of the crate at night (has been since he was 3 months old). He's very loving, loves to cuddle and wants lick you to death. He isn't very agressive with other dogs. He is a little needy and he likes to be under my feet when I'm cooking, but he winds up moving. I don't think I'll get any other kind of dog now that I've had him. We're going to put him into training, we're a little late on that, but even with home based stuff he's good on sitting and playing dead. (That was my idea)

We take him to the dog park or out on walks about 2-3 times per week. We're gone for the entire day, and then we leave to go to the gym, he's just happy we come home. I didn't lock him in the crate all the way on Friday (oops) and when James got home Hatcher greeted him at the back door. He'd been out all day and nothing was touched, not even the cats.

Okay, enough gushing..

oh, only bad points- he farts. And I mean FARTS, not the SBD, full on noisy. They're also drippy- they'll drip water all over the floor, so area rugs on tile are a life/butt saver-

Registered
    Aug 2001
    OK, I could have been spared the last detail.

Registered
    Dec 2001

here's another pic

keep in mind James is 6'7", so he's not that little of a puppy-

Registered
    Oct 2001
    Originally posted by bturk
    OK, I could have been spared the last detail.
    I don't think it was implied that the farts were drippy. Just the dog drinking water from a bowl. Am I correct here? I just have to know.

Registered
    Dec 2001

ew

yes, he farts AND drips water everywhere, but ths doesn't come out of the same end, but can happen at the same time...

Registered
    Aug 2001

Re: ew

yes, he farts AND drips water everywhere, but ths doesn't come out of the same end, but can happen at the same time...
    Whew. I thought he was browning...

Registered
    Dec 2001
    no, he's just a mess when he eats.

check out www.weim.net if you want other really cute pictures- I've got him on there too. Looking at that website was the thing that pushed us towards getting a weimie-

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    I don't have him yet, but we're getting my father-in-law's dog soon. He's in rough shape, and needs to get away from the more aggressive dogs in his current neighborhood. He's blind in one eye, and has an overbite....but Kylie loves Enos and can't wait for him to live with us....

The pics are a year or so old...

"Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Oh! She just get's that much more adorable everytime I see a picture of her!

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Oh! She just get's that much more adorable everytime I see a picture of her!
    Off-topic:

Thanks Tex. If you like those.....how 'bout this...

http://www.cyburbia.org/gallery/show...papass=&sort=1

"Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

+ Reply to thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

More at Cyburbia

1. Identify your wheels
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 200
    Last post: 02 Nov 2008, 11:50 AM
  2. Identify Your Epitaph
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 09 Jun 2003, 10:57 AM
  3. Identify the Starbucks #50