Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Parking requirements for churches

Registered
    Dec 2001

Parking requirements for churches

Ours is 1 space for every 4 seats, my old city (Plano) was 1 for every 5 seats.. I think this is too few spaces considering most of the churches out here have cars parking in the street. Any one have a "more realistic" ratio?
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Actually, in the City of Vancouver it was worse: 1 space/6 seats, or 12 ft. of bench length in the main auditorium.

In my current town it's 1 space per 5 seats, and may include off-site parking in adjacent commercial lots.

Oh yeah, in the City of Davis, CA... it was 1 space per four seats in the main auditorium.

That's all I can remember off the top of my head. And actually, I'm a little scared that I can remember parking standards from 10 years ago... of course, they used to call me the Church Lady back in the day. I hope you don't get the same moniker.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    I've come across standards for lower rates, reason being the town would rather deal with overflow parking 1 day a week than have to pave huse expanses of asphalt.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    ours is 1 per 3 fixed seats plus 1 per 40 square feet of other assembly area. our by-law allows for off site parking provided an suitable agreement is in place or they pay the City.

Most of our churches are so old and huge that I doubt we will see expansions in the foreseeable future.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Originally posted by donk
    ours is 1 per 3 fixed seats plus 1 per 40 square feet of other assembly area. our by-law allows for off site parking provided an suitable agreement is in place or they pay the City.

Most of our churches are so old and huge that I doubt we will see expansions in the foreseeable future.
    Thanks! You see, the problem is they aren't expanding the main sanctuary, but they're adding on nearly 12,000 sq ft of classrooms and office space and taking out 25 spaces. Also, since the architect wasn't calling back I called the church to see how many they had on average for Sunday mass- 800 difference in what the architect is representing. doh!
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    We typically separate the different uses, and calculate the parking separately for each one (ie classroom at one standard, office at another and assembly hall at another). We do this for all projects regardless of size. It can be a real pain to take out closets, hallways and common areas.

Maybe this will help with the total number of spaces.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    Ours is one per 3 seats as well.
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Gun range parking requirements
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 05 Oct 2011, 9:25 AM
  2. Replies: 22
    Last post: 28 Jul 2009, 2:51 PM
  3. Parking requirements for jails
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Feb 2006, 8:11 PM