Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Visual correction

Registered
    Feb 2004

Visual correction

I have fought a slow but ultimately losing battle with presbyopia. It's gotten to the point, though, that if I'm going to be doing any reading before bed I pretty much have to wear reading glasses. That said, I've never required any kind of distance correction.

Do you wear glasses or contacts? Has anyone had laser surgery on their eyes?
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Still have my 20/20 vision at over 40.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Started wearing glasses at 3rd grade - nearsightedness
    in 2014 had cataract lens replacement surgery, was day surgery, each eye was done a week apart. instant noticeable result was brightness & color
    afterward had great distance vision, I need readers.
    Last edited by JNA; 29 Jul 2016 at 2:31 PM.

Got my first pair of glasses in 2nd grade. Wore contacts in HS and part of college. Been in glasses ever since. No surgery. I don't completely trust it, plus I've come to terms with what is wrong with my eyes. I just feel blessed I correct to 20/20
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Registered
    Feb 1998
    I resorted to cheating on the eye exam when getting my first driver's license. When I failed the examiner had my rest a bit and retry. A school chum was next, who gave the responses loud enough for my to hear. I remembered enough of them to pass the follow up. Wore glasses ever since.

Registered
    Apr 2003
    Somewhere between the mountains and the ocean.
    I have glasses when I need to read anything that is more than 5 feet from me. I can't use them when i am sitting at a computer or reading, but I need them for driving.

Unless I am driving, I don't wear them all that often. My sunglasses are prescription so that simplifies that need.
    If you want different results in your life, you need to do different things than you have done in the past. Change is that simple.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    I've worn glasses for 10 years. I got contacts a couple of years ago. Lately. I don't wear glasses when I read or use a computer; I can do that kind of activity better without them.

I don't wear my glasses or contacts at home. I can see well enough to move around the house and do chores.

Registered
    Feb 2005
    I had LASIK in 2004 (wow, can't believe it was that long ago) and it was definitely worth it, for me. I wasn't a good contacts wearer (tried several kinds but I could always feel them in there, bothering and distracting me) and I wasn't crazy about wearing glasses either. I had mild astigmatism in one eye which was corrected to 20/40, and the other is 20/20 (had mild/moderate nearsightedness in both eyes). I guess now they can effectively LASIK folks with much worse eyesight, pretty neat.

Registered
    Jun 2009
    I started wearing glass before 3rd grade and eyes got progressively worse until about 18-20. Started wearing contacts at 14. Started with the hard contacts (ugh), then to slightly softer gas permeables (still ugh), and now have been wearing soft disposables for the past 6 years or so (so much better). I'd like to get Lasik but I'm right at the cusp of where they'll actually do it for me. I have a contact prescription of -10 and glass _12 in both eyes. Luckily no real astigmatism.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Rygor View post
    I started wearing glass before 3rd grade and eyes got progressively worse until about 18-20. Started wearing contacts at 14. Started with the hard contacts (ugh), then to slightly softer gas permeables (still ugh), and now have been wearing soft disposables for the past 6 years or so (so much better). I'd like to get Lasik but I'm right at the cusp of where they'll actually do it for me. I have a contact prescription of -10 and glass _12 in both eyes. Luckily no real astigmatism.
    Basically ditto to all of this like I'm your creepy eye twin. I'm holding out hope that I'll get lens replacement if/when I get cataracts and it'll get a little better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Quote Originally posted by Habanero View post
    Basically ditto to all of this like I'm your creepy eye twin. I'm holding out hope that I'll get lens replacement if/when I get cataracts and it'll get a little better.
    I had it done 2 yrs ago - what an improvement reversed from nearsightedness to farsightedness. - need readers.

I always like part of the eye exam when they take off my specs and want me to read the chart on the wall. That's when they find out that I can't even see the big E on top.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I always like part of the eye exam when they take off my specs and want me to read the chart on the wall. That's when they find out that I can't even see the big E on top.
    Maister trivia fact #22 - Maister worked in an eye dr.'s office for several years and during that time memorized the Snellen eye chart which he has committed to long term memory to this day.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Quote Originally posted by Whose Yur Planner View post
    I usually say, "it's an E but I've memorized that part of the test so...." But my eyesight is also why I go to ophthalmologists and not optometrists- the doctors don't normally get worried and wring their hands when they see my eyes like the optometrists do. I just seem to confuse them.

When Jesus said "love your enemies", he probably didn't mean kill them.

I usually say, "it's an E but I've memorized that part of the test so...." But my eyesight is also why I go to ophthalmologists and not optometrists- the doctors don't normally get worried and wring their hands when they see my eyes like the optometrists do. I just seem to confuse them.

I've gone to both. However the best explanation I've ever gotten on what's wrong with my eyes is from a lady who works where I get my glasses. I got that kindred spirit vibe from her. My current eye doc is pretty cool. He's got that hippy vibe to him. Plus, he doesn't dilate my eyes, which is torture for due to light sensitivity issues.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    May 2015
    Out of curiosity, for those of you who do have corrected vision, what's your prescription? Mine is -6.25. Absolutely blind as a bat without contacts.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Vision correction
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 22
    Last post: 07 Jun 2014, 7:42 PM
  2. Visual assessment in Australia
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 0
    Last post: 23 Mar 2011, 12:11 PM
  3. Replies: 0
    Last post: 20 Oct 2009, 11:18 AM