Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Colorado Springs

Registered
    Nov 2002

Colorado Springs

Went there recently and was struck by (1) how a city of half a million has a great little downtown, but one that it more appropriately sized for a city of 100,000 and (b) how much public art there is downtown.

(Sorry the pics are sideways, clearly my image attachment and uploading skills need work...)

City Hall with art

Public art in Arcadia Park

Good public realm elements

City Hall again
    Last edited by Masswich; 08 Aug 2016 at 9:35 AM.

Registered
    Apr 2017
    I was in Colorado Sprongs for Christmas visiting family. Great city with a mild climate. Have you visited Manitou Springs nearby? It's a great little town near Garden of the Gods and Cave of the Winds.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmmm

Were the street lights turned on at night? That place is notoriously cheap and anti-tax. They succeed in spite of themselves. All that military cash really helps a lot.
    Now for the positives....I like their airport and think it should expand. They have a great zoo for the size. A ton of potential in the downtown that will never be realized until they get over the anti-tax thing and being cheap bastards.
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Registered
    Jun 2009
    Quote Originally posted by jollyrancher View post
    I was in Colorado Sprongs for Christmas visiting family. Great city with a mild climate. Have you visited Manitou Springs nearby? It's a great little town near Garden of the Gods and Cave of the Winds.
    Yes, Manitou Springs is awesome if not a bit touristy. Very close to Pike's Peak, too.

Quote Originally posted by The One View post
    Were the street lights turned on at night? That place is notoriously cheap and anti-tax. They succeed in spite of themselves. All that military cash really helps a lot.
    Now for the positives....I like their airport and think it should expand. They have a great zoo for the size. A ton of potential in the downtown that will never be realized until they get over the anti-tax thing and being cheap bastards.
    Agree. A lot of potential there but you can tell the lack of investment in infrastructure and planning. Yes, the downtown is very small for a city of it's size. Colorado Springs is very sprawling and suburban but it does have the advantage of being closer to the mountains than Denver.
    "When life gives you lemons, just say 'No thanks'." - Henry Rollins

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Hmmm

I just realized that I've been watching Colorado Springs and Denver develop since 1979 and back then, Denver was bigger but not necessarily that different from Colorado Springs. The Springs was a more popular destination in many ways where I grew up. Since then Denver has taken off like a rocket to mars with development and BIG IDEAS getting done. The Springs has floundered and only progressed as far as that fat military cash will allow considering the STRONG headwinds of anti-tax movements and cut cut cut mentality. A great case study to compare the philosophy of both cities. Denver has developed into a world class city with world class ideas while Colorado Springs is concerned about paying the electric bill for street lights while the infrastructure crumbles around them at an alarming rate.
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. DeFuniak Springs FL
    Cities and Places
    Replies: 8
    Last post: 17 Aug 2015, 12:13 PM
  2. Hello from CO Springs
    Introduce Yourself
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 10 Feb 2010, 10:14 AM