Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Training $$

Registered
    Aug 2001

Training $$

We've been talking about conferences and training alot here.

What do your employers budget for you on an annual basis?

Around here its:

1. National Planning Conference for the Director (but I alternate years with Prudence since I am so nice).

2. National ESRI User Conference for the GIS Coordinator

3. APA State Chapter conference for 2-3 Planning staff (out of 5 professional staff)

4. Enough extra to cover 2-3 miscellaneous 2-3 day seminars for each employee.

5. ESRI State Users Group for 2 employees.

Forums Administrator & Gallery Moderator NHPlanner's avatar
    Registered
    Apr 1996
    This year (but probably not next):

APA National for Director (my boss) and Town Planner (me)
    APA Chapter Conference for both
    State Conference for both
    Chapter AICP Professional Development Workshop for both
    ED workshops for Director
    "Growth is inevitable and desirable, but destruction of community character is not. The question is not whether your part of the world is going to change. The question is how." -- Edward T. McMahon, The Conservation Fund

Umm...

One year I got $800 to go to a 3-day ArcInfo class.

No $ for conferences at all. No $ for local seminars at all. I go to as many free things as possible, because career development doesn't appear on the radar screen here. I may shell out the money for APA myself this year. I am still waiting for my reimbursement for the AICP exam from last May.
    "I'm a white male, age 18 to 49. Everyone listens to me, no matter how dumb my suggestions are."

- Homer Simpson

Registered
    Jul 1998
    I have been sneaky, adding about $500/year to the budget. Last year it was $2000. So I can go as far as that takes me. Departments can spend from other lines, so as long as the total isn't exceeded I can go. I usually do the Iowa Chapter meeting and the Upper Midwest. I was planning on Denver, but
    now I may not go.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Originally posted by giff57
    I have been sneaky, adding about $500/year to the budget. Last year it was $2000. So I can go as far as that takes me. Departments can spend from other lines, so as long as the total isn't exceeded I can go. I usually do the Iowa Chapter meeting and the Upper Midwest. I was planning on Denver, but
    now I may not go.
    The next Upper Midwest Meeting is in Milwaukee, October 2003. Probably means I'll get tapped for some blasted committee...

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Usually 3-4 in-state 2-day conferences. Two national conferences in six years, but also two out-of-state training programs.

Registered
    Sep 1999
    We have a large dept. and big travel budget, but it's usually eaten up by the director and his best buds going to the national APA conference. Out of over 20 planners, maybe 3 get to go to the state conference each year, and some have never had a turn. I got to go last year when state was in Orlando (basically in-town for us) but had to get a generic badge (just my first initial) so I could "share" with another planner.

Registered
    Dec 2001
    Here we go to whatever we want, includes any type of advanced education. We just submit a tuition reimbursment, and get it back a year later if still employed.

We don't have to do that for mandatory conferences, seminars, etc. They just get payed for.

maudit anglais
    Registered
    May 1997
    HA HA HA HA HA HA HA

There's lots of "in-house" training courses available (resume writing, interview skills, how to care for elderly parents (?!)), but absolutely zero dollars for conferences or out-of-town seminars. Unless you are a director of course.

Registered
    Sep 2001
    Get to go to my local branch meetings and regional meeting (if its not in NFLD)

Get to go to CIP when in the region (but not NFLD)

The odd other course or conference if it is close and not too expensive.

We keep talking about going to the NE APA meetings if they are in Maine.
    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

Moving at my own pace....... Planderella's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 1998
    One of my conditions for accepting this job was that I be allowed to attend APA conferences (note the plural). It also helps that I'm an officer in the local chapter and and state chapters.

Registered
    Oct 2000
    For overnight gigs, the town will pay for registration, but not travel or lodging. I usually attend the state GIS users conference, and occasionally the chapter apa mtg.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Interpretation Dog training land use?
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 1
    Last post: 22 Jul 2012, 9:33 PM
  2. Training for new responsibilities
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Apr 2012, 4:09 PM
  3. Training camp
    Rural and Small Town Planning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 21 Jun 2010, 4:49 PM
  4. New Planner in Training