Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Community Development Block Grants leave a lot to be desired

Registered
    Feb 2006

Community Development Block Grants leave a lot to be desired

I spend way too much time jumping through their hoops. I am pulling my hair out today. It is hardly worth the money.

Ordering an appraisal of an appraisal?

Registered
    Jun 2005
    Quote Originally posted by Hawkeye66 View post
    I spend way too much time jumping through their hoops. I am pulling my hair out today. It is hardly worth the money.

Ordering an appraisal of an appraisal?
    Condolences. The reporting burden has gotten insane and I'm so glad to no longer be stuck dealing with those terrible quarterly grantee reports. I get that HUD sees itself as a steward of public dollars, but they are getting to the point of inhibiting the ability of award recipients to get actual work done.

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

BINGO!

Our local jurisdiction is hiring a CDBG Coordinator starting at $84k I'm not sure that is enough to put up with that crap.

On a related note, our CSBG reporting requirements are moving towards quarterly reporting and will require tracking of clients beyond exit Thankfully we don't have that contract crap to deal with (for the most part).
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016
    Hey man, that's grant administration - it's a damn headache. And yes, having an appraisal review is common. Because, guess what, appraisals are just an opinion on value. Yeah, what a joke appraisers are.

Some appraisals come in low, others high, and a few are just way off and factual incorrect. Review appraisers help with the last issue. Especially if the acquisitions are involuntary and may later be before a court. It's not a HUD specific thing. That's just federal grants. (Oh how naive I was in grad school when I believed that grants were akin to free money. )
    The content contrarian

Registered
    Mar 2004
    Blog entries

Ha!

Big Federal Grants are just a sneaky way for cutting funding and creating paralysis by analysis. Often the amounts provided in grant funding are not even close to making a statistically significant difference. When general pay increases for lower income folks, that creates a statistically significant difference.
    “The way of acquiescence leads to moral and spiritual suicide. The way of violence leads to bitterness in the survivors and brutality in the destroyers. But, the way of non-violence leads to redemption and the creation of the beloved community.”
    Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
    - See more at: http://www.thekingcenter.org/king-ph....r7W02j3S.dpuf

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016
    Agree with that - but don't you think grants (all grants, not just federal) are political pork-barreling? As in, look at how much we're helping the environment - i.e. spending 1.2 million across the entire state for green projects. Yeah, that's nothing for a single, substantial environment enhancement project. It's a joke, but hey, it looks good on paper!

Registered
    Feb 2006
    Yes, but who orders the review of the review appraisal?

See, the level of nonsense this is. The need for an appraisal is pathetic. We could just look at comp land sales in our area for a per acre cost. I realize its all fed grants.

The USDA guy wonders why we won't apply for more of their programs. It won't be on my watch.

Super Moderator luckless pedestrian's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2005
    I feel your pain - my elected officials don't understand why I have to do things their way, constantly questioning why we can't appeal Davis-Bacon, why the person preparing the spec cannot bid on same spec, blah blah and the HUD folks asking why I keep asking stupid questions and do I really want the money -

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016
    In my experience the review is typically done by the oversight agency, or affiliated agency, but paid for by the grantee out of the grant funds. HUD may organize it differently, but I'm guessing that's typical. It's to ensure that public dollars aren't being squandered via inflated land values. Sure, you could ballpark it via comps but that doesn't consider discounts, modifiers, etc or other value methodology that an appraiser could use (but won't). So yeah, appraisals aren't rocket-science but that's how you keep it on the up-and-up.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 19 Feb 2016, 3:56 PM
  2. Replies: 3
    Last post: 18 Jan 2010, 9:34 AM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 28 Apr 2008, 4:09 PM
  4. Replies: 9
    Last post: 01 Jun 2006, 2:18 PM
  5. ULI Community Action Grants
    Student Commons