Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: GRE percentile vs. number

Registered
    Aug 2016

GRE percentile vs. number

Which is more important to the admissions? Is it the percentile you landed in or the number you got? Or it is unique for each programs requirements/suggested score?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013
    It's pretty loose - just focus on getting around 155 for each section. Honestly GRE is probably the last thing planning schools care about. But it really depends on each program and how competitive each program is that year. More important are your work experiences, essay, volunteer experience, rec letters, and grades.

Registered
    Jun 2016
    Speaking of, how does one get across volunteer/activist experiences? It seems like something schools implicitly approve of, but I have a hard time figuring out where to put it. Presumptuous if listed under work experience? Disappearing if listed somewhere in the back under some catch-all volunteer category? What about in-between stuff, like full time fellowships, internships, ets? Gah headache. So many details to keep track of and work to do, and for no constructive purpose whatsoever.

Registered
    Sep 2015
    I have a section on my resume called "Community Involvement and Service". And yeah, from what I take it, even some of the best planning schools don't mind GRE scores in the low 150s.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013
    By volunteer experiences I meant more like 1 experience/story you can talk about in detail in your essay which led you to be interested in planning. For example, mine was interning at a local community development non-profit over the summer doing neighborhood planning work.

The laundry list of experiences will probably just go either in your resume or whatever entry form each school has for their online application.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 20
    Last post: 07 Aug 2015, 9:27 AM
  2. SS number on applications?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 03 Sep 2010, 6:30 PM
  3. Number of lots
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 07 Mar 2003, 4:24 PM