Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Townships and tax exempt property

Registered
    Sep 2016

Townships and tax exempt property

Does anyone know why a Tax-exempt agency Like a Metro Parks, who wants to buy property in a township, would need to involve said township before going ahead with the deal, even when they were buying the land off a private company within the township? Would it have to do with loss tax $'s Thanks in advance for any help
    Glo

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Moderator note:
    Moved from 'Friday Afternoon Club' to 'Economic and Community Development'. Carry on.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Jan 2009
    My only thought is that they are a tax exempt entity and if they buy land they would take away from your tax base. I don't know if you would have any say in the purchase though. There must be something in the state statutes that would explain it.

Every now and then I get companies that apply for tax exemptions (temporary) and I (the county) have to send letters to the townships and any other taxing authority to get comments, but mine deals with economic incentives, not land purchases.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Subdivision Exempt rural subdivision
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 17 Apr 2015, 5:07 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 14 Jul 2008, 2:19 PM
  3. Townships merged Into cities
    Make No Small Plans
    Replies: 13
    Last post: 22 Feb 2007, 2:46 AM