Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Chinese 'nail houses'

Registered
    Feb 2004

Chinese 'nail houses'

People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

Registered
    Nov 2002
    A nail house in Boston right next to North Station. The story has it that this is the last house left from the West End Urban Renewal effort, the owner didn't want to sell and everyone built around it.

https://www.google.com/maps/@42.3652...7i13312!8i6656

Registered
    Aug 2016
    While defiantly out of place, some seem to be a great investment. Refusing to sell property when a big investment or development surrounds your house: location, location, location.

Registered
    Feb 2004
    Quote Originally posted by Ringo View post
    While defiantly out of place, some seem to be a great investment. Refusing to sell property when a big investment or development surrounds your house: location, location, location.
    One can certainly make money sometimes being the last holdouts on a land assembly deal, but these nail houses stand as stark testimony of what can happen when one overplays their hand and 'loses' in these situations.
    People will miss that it once meant something to be Southern or Midwestern. It doesn't mean much now, except for the climate. The question, “Where are you from?” doesn't lead to anything odd or interesting. They live somewhere near a Gap store, and what else do you need to know? - Garrison Keillor

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 7
    Last post: 17 Jan 2015, 1:48 PM
  2. It's the Chinese Cyburbia!
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 23
    Last post: 01 Jul 2010, 2:05 PM
  3. Replies: 7
    Last post: 01 Sep 2008, 9:50 AM
  4. Replies: 6
    Last post: 08 Mar 2004, 9:56 PM