Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

Closed thread

Thread: Miami College undergraduate looking to get started

Registered
    Oct 2016

Miami College undergraduate looking to get started

Hi all!

I'm 21 years old, college undergraduate Junior in Miami.

I want my career to be in smart cities, economic development, planning, community development, organizing, and job creation.

But I am not sure which college major to major in?

We don't have an Urban planning or Economic/Community Development degrees-- all of that is subsumed up under "Public Administration" major.

What in your opinion is the best college major to capitalize on that would bring the most amount of skills and value to the table?

Thanks for any help

Akua

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Public admin does a good job covering a lot of it, but it doesn't sound like you want that and it does focus on city/public work. An MBA might be an option after your undergrad for the economic development field.

I recommend everyone get some GIS classes because a lot of those fields will want some GIS work and that get's your foot in the door career wise.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Registered
    Aug 2001
    Greetings from the Florida panhandle.
    Habitual Offender

Registered
    Oct 2016
    Quote Originally posted by dvdneal View post
    Public admin does a good job covering a lot of it, but it doesn't sound like you want that and it does focus on city/public work. An MBA might be an option after your undergrad for the economic development field.

I recommend everyone get some GIS classes because a lot of those fields will want some GIS work and that get's your foot in the door career wise.
    Ah! So Public Administration would be an okay major?

I wasn't sure as I've heard many grumbling that Public Administration doesn't really teach the "hard skills" often wanted in rare applicants.

Right now I am a Mathematics and Statistics major and was thinking about getting a second major in Anthropology/Sociology, but now that you've put Public Administration on the table I might just give that a second look.

Registered
    Jan 2009
    I'd talk to your adviser about where you want to end up and maybe talk to a few companies, nonprofits, or cities to see what skills they're looking for. Public admin is definitely a soft skill. I consider math, science, stats, research methods, GIS and stuff like that as hard skills. Hard skills get you hired at the entry level. Public admin gives you more of a broad overview of how cities function, the politics involved, and how to manage decision making. Public admin degrees might get you into something like a budget analyst or assistant to the city manager type position. You're expected to know basic city operations and you better know stats. When in doubt, get a couple internships. Degrees are nice, but experience gets you hired every time.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Closed thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 9
    Last post: 09 Jan 2015, 9:42 AM
  2. Replies: 43
    Last post: 21 Mar 2013, 12:34 PM
  3. Replies: 23
    Last post: 18 Oct 2006, 4:13 PM
  4. What Started It All?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 10
    Last post: 07 Nov 2005, 9:04 AM