Urban planning community

+ Reply to thread
Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: canadian theme

  1. #1

    Registered
    Jun 2002
    Location
    Kernersville, North Carolina
    Posts
    22

    canadian theme

    Gordon Lighfoot has to be my pick
    BUT I tried to copy the picture here and it did not work ??
    can any of you computer whizs explain ?

  2. #2
    Cyburbian Cardinal's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Cheese State
    Posts
    10,006
    Try one of two possibilities:

    1) The file is too large. If you want to post a picture, it has to be under 75KB. An avatar has to be under 5KB. (Someone correct me if I am off on these numbers, but I am at least close.)

    2) If you have a firewall, you may need to disable it to post.

  3. #3
    Cyburbian nerudite's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Edmonton
    Posts
    5,503
    Originally posted by Michael Stumpf
    Try one of two possibilities:

    1) The file is too large. If you want to post a picture, it has to be under 75KB. An avatar has to be under 5KB. (Someone correct me if I am off on these numbers, but I am at least close.)

    2) If you have a firewall, you may need to disable it to post.
    I think the avatars have to be under 3k... but I could be wrong. Seems like most of my avatars are around 4k before I start pulling my hair out trying to reduce them just a little further.

  4. #4
    Cyburbia Administrator Dan's avatar
    Registered
    Mar 1996
    Location
    Upstate New York
    Posts
    14,608
    Blog entries
    3
    Originally posted by nerudite
    I think the avatars have to be under 3k... but I could be wrong. Seems like most of my avatars are around 4k before I start pulling my hair out trying to reduce them just a little further.
    You're right ... 3K and 80x80 max, .jpg or non-animated .gif.
    Growth for growth's sake is the ideology of the cancer cell. -- Edward Abbey

  5. #5
    Cyburbian Jeff's avatar
    Registered
    Dec 2001
    Location
    Mr. Cool Ice
    Posts
    4,161
    Those Canuck related pictures never cooperate. Damn Canucks...good for nothing!

  6. #6
    Cyburbian Wannaplan?'s avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    Gale Crater
    Posts
    2,862
    Bee-yotch!

  7. #7
          Downtown's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2000
    Location
    Under a pile of back issue Plannings
    Posts
    3,174
    Beaner - your avatar is freaking me out - i keep thinking you're muggie!

  8. #8
    Cyburbian Emeritus Chet's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    South Milwaukee
    Posts
    8,935
    Originally posted by KMateja
    Beaner - your avatar is freaking me out - i keep thinking you're muggie!
    Thank you for making me spit coffee down the front of my shirt!

  9. #9
    Cyburbian el Guapo's avatar
    Registered
    Oct 2001
    Location
    Samsara
    Posts
    5,075
    Brian,
    Do you see the Canadian-ness of mine?

  10. #10
    Cyburbian Emeritus Chet's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    South Milwaukee
    Posts
    8,935
    Originally posted by El Guapo
    Brian,
    Do you see the Canadian-ness of mine?
    The robotic arm. Got it. Took a sec, but got it.

    You are clever, my friend!

  11. #11
    Cyburbian donk's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2001
    Location
    skating on thin ice
    Posts
    6,958
    I am surprised no one picked Jane Jacobs for this week


    Too lazy to beat myself up for being to lazy to beat myself up for being too lazy to... well you get the point....

  12. #12
    Cyburbian Cardinal's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    The Cheese State
    Posts
    10,006
    For those who do not know, the inspiration for Winnie the Pooh was a bear cub that Captain A. A. Milne picked up as a mascot while his company was stationed north of Lake Superior in Ontario. (That's one of the states in Canada.) The town is nothing more than a hotel, restaurant, and a few houses. I passed through a couple years back when they were holding their annual Winnie the Pooh festival. There were at least ten people there.

  13. #13
    Cyburbian Emeritus Chet's avatar
    Registered
    Aug 2001
    Location
    South Milwaukee
    Posts
    8,935
    Originally posted by Michael Stumpf
    I passed through a couple years back when they were holding their annual Winnie the Pooh festival. There were at least ten people there.
    That's 9 too many. (bturk hate pooh)

  14. #14
    Cyburbian jmf's avatar
    Registered
    Sep 2001
    Location
    in limbo
    Posts
    591
    Originally posted by Michael Stumpf
    For those who do not know, the inspiration for Winnie the Pooh was a bear cub that Captain A. A. Milne picked up as a mascot while his company was stationed north of Lake Superior in Ontario. (That's one of the states in Canada.) The town is nothing more than a hotel, restaurant, and a few houses. I passed through a couple years back when they were holding their annual Winnie the Pooh festival. There were at least ten people there.
    OK, I have to correct you a little here. A.A. Milne was a Brit whose son fell in love with 'Winnie' after he was left at the London Zoo.

    During the first World War, troops from Winnipeg (Manitoba, Canada) were being transported to eastern Canada, on their way to Europe, where they were to join the 2nd Canadian Infantry Brigade. When the train stopped at White River, Ontario, a lieutenant called Harry Colebourn bought a small female black bear cub for $20 from a hunter who had killed its mother. He named her 'Winnipeg', after his hometown of Winnipeg, or 'Winnie' for short.
    Winnie became the mascot of the Brigade and went to Britain with the unit. When the Brigade was posted to the battlefields of France, Colebourn, now a Captain, took Winnie to the London Zoo for a long loan. He formally presented the London Zoo with Winnie in December 1919 where he became a popular attraction and lived until 1934.

    The bear was also very popular with Christopher Robin, son of author A.A. Milne. It was his favourite animal at the Zoo, and he often spent time inside the cage with it. The bear was Christopher Robin's inspiration for calling his own teddy bear Winnie.....Winnie the Pooh (this teddy bear started out with the name of Edward Bear). The name Pooh originally belonged to a swan, as can be seen in the introduction of Milne's 'When We Were Very Young'.

    For more (sorry bturk) see: http://www.just-pooh.com/history.html

    Winnie is/was actually a great childrens classic, until Disney got a hold of him.

    So, what other great characters has Disney messed with??

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

  1. Avatar Theme???
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 41
    Last post: 02 Dec 2002, 11:27 AM
  2. Next Avatar Theme Week Theme?
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 40
    Last post: 19 Nov 2002, 11:10 AM
  3. Variation on theme.
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 5
    Last post: 11 Oct 2002, 12:01 PM