Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Anyone on here a bike-ped coordinator?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013

Anyone on here a bike-ped coordinator?

Are you an engineer, policy/planner/advocate, or an architect by background? What is your role within the City/MPO/State DOT? You can also answer on behalf of whoever is your bike-ped coordinator Just looking for some insight on this career path. Thanks!

Registered
    Jan 2009
    Sorry, I work for a rural county so we generally take the opinion that bikes will get out of the way or be run over by a combine.

My last city sent a planner to the MPO for bike stuff. He happened to be a landscape arch background, but it was kind of a random selection thing.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian Plus
    Registered
    Jun 2003
    Have you looked at these websites
    Association of Pedestrian and Bicycle Professionals (APBP) http://www.apbp.org/?page=Home

National Center for Bicycling & Walking (NCBW) http://www.bikewalk.org/aboutus.php

Federal Highway Administration's Bicycle and Pedestrian Program http://www.fhwa.dot.gov/environment/bicycle_pedestrian/

Our MPO handles bike-ped. It's cross jurisdictional and basically part of the over transportation for the five jurisdictions.
    When did I go from Luke Skywalker to Obi-Wan Kenobi?

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013
    Thanks, JNA. I've seen the first two, but not the third. I was more looking for what types of backgrounds bike-ped coordinators come from and what their role is. For example, I work for a mid-sized municipality (pop ~300,000) and our bike-ped coordinator comes from a technical architecture background. Many of the other bike-ped coordinators I see on NACTO threads are PE's and do more bike-ped design/engineering. So I was just curious. I'll ask APBP!

Registered
    May 2004
    Grand Rapids, Michigan (Detroit ex-pat since 2004)

Vehicular cycling education

You might also look into the bicycle driving classes available, as these present a well-rounded background for anyone wishing to use a bike for transportation.

Cycling Savvy

Smart Cycling (formerly Bike Ed, formerly Effective Cycling)

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016
    I wish. It's my hope that one day I can do bike/ped land use planning, but that's a highly contested career track.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013
    Highly contested? If by that you mean, lots of public meetings where people might yell at you, then yes, probably haha.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016
    Ha! I meant, it's a highly desirable/competitive planning position.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013
    I'm sure in California it is pretty competitive, but in smaller cities (Pittsburgh, Nashville, etc.) it's actually pretty hard to find someone who has the skillset and passion for that kind of thing. Either the people who have the technical skillset in engineering or architecture don't bike regularly or weren't trained in sustainable design, or the people who are passionate don't have the technical skillsets and are more on the education and advocacy side. But yeah, each city or agency probably only has one so that does limit the pool of openings.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016
    Send me a PM when you see one. I'm okay moving to Boise, ID

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Feb 2013
    Quote Originally posted by mercdude View post
    Send me a PM when you see one. I'm okay moving to Boise, ID
    sent! It's not showing up in my Sent folder though, so let me know if you didn't get it! I haven't used PM in a while.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 0
    Last post: 18 Mar 2013, 1:41 PM
  2. Replies: 0
    Last post: 16 Jun 2008, 10:29 AM
  3. Replies: 41
    Last post: 12 May 2004, 5:35 PM
  4. Bike Ban
    Friday Afternoon Club
    Replies: 3
    Last post: 10 Dec 2003, 5:12 PM