Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Nashville's pedestrian zones

Registered
    Oct 2016

Nashville's pedestrian zones

Was in Nashville on business last month, which also happened to be Park(ING) Day, and was able to check these out. Super cool project on a street with sidewalks as crowded as Times Square in NYC.

http://www.moderncities.com/article/...s-broadway-ave

Click image for larger version

Name:	NSVL.jpg
Views:	4
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	5686

Registered
    Jan 2009
    How dare someone violate the sacrosanct street cross section! If we can't move cars there is no other purpose in life. Next thing you know they'll be proposing a pedestrian only street and how are we going to get people on that street without cars? Let them walk?

Okay, I can't keep the sarcasm going for too long, someone else tag in.
    I don't pretend to understand Brannigan's Law. I merely enforce it.

Cyburbian
    Registered
    Aug 2016
    Parking day is a landscape architecture thing - it's a temporary installation that supposed to reclaim the public realm for pedestrians + showcase LA design. Unfortunately because it's considered temporary, and it's voluntary, the quality of the design depends on the affluence of the individuals participating. I did one or two during my MLA program - they're kind of fun but I couldn't always help but feel that the exercise was pointless.

Registered
    Oct 2016
    they're kind of fun but I couldn't always help but feel that the exercise was pointless.
    I agree that doing PARK(ing) Day just for the sake of PARK(ing) Day is pointless. In my city, we positioned it as a way to get people talking about outdoor café seating.. and are working on a program to enhance those options downtown (with parklets where the sidewalk isn't wide enough, with the next step being working with the State's ABT in order to be able to serve alcohol in outdoor seating areas...something they've interpreted that we cannot do- even though pretty much any other city in the state does not follow that interpretation).

In Nashville's case, I witnessed a pretty sweeping set of temporary changes along Lower Broad that are specifically designed to test out permanent changes before actually making those elements permanent... and they used PARK(ing) Day to kickoff that ~6 week trial period. I was pretty impressed by it. You had several municipal agencies working hand in hand with private consultants, business owners and stakeholders. It was fun, useful and had the implicit backing of the Mayor with the intent to roll out permanent changes based on feedback from these temporary interventions.

Registered
    Jun 2002
    Traffic movement capacity reduced from 6 lanes to 4!? A 33% reduction in public movement capacity for people to sit at tables?!

Most of the time it is either too hot or too cold or raining, or bugs and bird droppings are a nuisance.

Or people are working during the week and are not utilizing the space, which would otherwise be used for week-day traffic movement, loading and service.

Other times traffic noise is disturbing to people trying to have a nice conversation.

Other times bus noise and fumes are obnoxious, and so are motor bikes so close to otherwise potentially nice seating areas.

Did you notice the tripping hazard at one of the table area "grass" carpets?

How many businesses are food service facilities along this street? Surely this seating capacity is not needed for every business for the whole length of this zone.

Businesses should be required to provide on-site parking and loading space (per code) instead of having it in the public street where movement of traffic is the prime need in over crowded city centers? This might include shared access and parking/loading/service areas off of side streets.

I think the tree-scape or landscaping is desirable to visually "soften" hardscapes, but businesses should provide for their own space needs within their own commercial spaces including loading and delivery off-street access.

I can also envision an existing old store with aging and dangerous structure and non code-compliant electrical and utilities being removed, and a nice off-street shaded park/seating alcove set in its place as a special entryway to three or four stores adjacent to it.

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Replies: 1
    Last post: 04 Apr 2008, 3:49 PM
  2. Replies: 1
    Last post: 03 Feb 2007, 10:40 AM
  3. Airport protection zones
    Land Use and Zoning
    Replies: 6
    Last post: 06 Oct 2005, 3:40 PM
  4. Hospitals in industrial zones
    Land Use and Zoning