Urban planning community | #theplannerlife

+ Reply to thread

Thread: Article: Future of automobile transportation and cities from ride sharing founder

Article: Future of automobile transportation and cities from ride sharing founder

https://medium.com/@johnzimmer/the-t...a91#.pj9h528r1

But it wasn’t until I took a life-changing city planning course in college that I had an epiphany: Cars weren’t just shaping my worldview; they were shaping the world, itself.
    Next time you walk outside, pay really close attention to the space around you. Look at how much land is devoted to cars — and nothing else. How much space parked cars take up lining both sides of the street, and how much of our cities go unused covered by parking lots.
    It becomes obvious, we’ve built our communities entirely around cars. And for the most part, we’ve built them for cars that aren’t even moving. The average vehicle is used only 4% of the time and parked the other 96%.

Most of us have grown up in cities built around the automobile, but imagine for a minute, what our world could look like if we found a way to take most of these cars off the road. It would be a world with less traffic and less pollution. A world where we need less parking — where streets can be narrowed and sidewalks widened. It’s a world where we can construct new housing and small businesses on parking lots across the country — or turn them into green spaces and parks. That’s a world built around people, not cars.

All of this is possible. In fact, as we continue into our new century, I believe we’re on the cusp of nothing short of a transportation revolution — one that will shape the future of our communities. And it is within our collective responsibility to ensure this is done in a way that improves quality of life for everyone. The coming revolution will be defined by three key shifts:
    Interesting read. I can't see this happening in rural areas, and it still seems science fiction in cities, but 10 years from now with the way technology is advancing, who knows?
    The content contrarian

Registered
    Mar 2005
    I like it; I like it a lot.

Thank God for life-changing city planning courses in college!

You know I'm a big fan of the automobile. But I also can't wait to see what the future holds for them (or the lack there of).
    How do I know you are who you think you are?

+ Reply to thread

More at Cyburbia

1. Future transportation planning director?
    Career Development and Advice
    Replies: 2
    Last post: 28 Jun 2012, 11:10 AM
  2. Future of transportation on Long Island
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 7
    Last post: 09 Sep 2011, 1:02 PM
  3. Replies: 3
    Last post: 29 Apr 2008, 6:18 PM
  4. Past visions of future transportation
    Transportation Planning
    Replies: 0